Getting fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate's TV had bolts put into his brand new flats wall (wall with neighbour) so I presume dob and dabbed onto concrete, he said plugs were used so not thunder bolts. What length and type of bolts are these and what plugs?

Secondly, i put a shallow plug just above light switch, is it enough to the side to miss the cables from light switch below? (2nd pix.)
20220618_111052.jpg
20220618_111052.jpg
20220620_185901.jpg

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean  dot and dabbed onto  blockwork (concrete is pretty rarefor dividing walls other than in high rises.

I know that you can get hold of larger plugs in 10mm (blue plugs) and 12mm sizes (possibly larger) - our local ironmonger stocks 10 and 12mm plugs. These are designed to be used with very large conventional wood screws as well as coach screws, which look like a bolt, with a hex head, but have a coarse wood screw thread (metric sizes up to about M32 I believe, although M18s were the biggest I ever used - on one timber beam repair - and needed a massive 32mm ring spanner, I recall). Above 12mm, though, it has generally been the case that you switch to shield anchors in masonry, such as Rawlbolts

As an aside, the biggest wood screws Nettlefolds ever listed were #32s which had a half inch thread (12.70mm) according to the Vintage Screw Co.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
That's the strength - grade 8.8 here.

What size are the bolt heads? That's normally a pretty good guide as to the diameter, 10mm head will typically be a 6mm dia thread, 13mm head will be 8mm dia thread typically.

It will say 8.8 on the head, that's the tensile strength.
Edit; Oops, I didn't see the last post (above) at the bottom of the page.

Get yourself a stud/cable/metal finder for the cable. Marvellous for calming anxieties!

I bought these two. I guess the cavity anchors are the most common size used for one plasterboard thickness. Are the coach bolts (100mm) with 12mm plugs meaty enough for a dog and dab wall for a TV?
16569246956224166370246045011662.jpg

You back doing handyman work, @Keitai ?

Are the coach bolts (100mm) with 12mm plugs meaty enough for a dog and dab wall for a TV?
That depends on how "thick" the plasterboard + dot and dab are. Up to about 40 to 50mm in total on a 100mm screw and you should be OK for a light load on a decent wall (so I wouldn't try it with Thermalites!). TVs don't weigh that much, do they?

I think those coach screw sets are actually made for fixing timber battening, etc onto walls. Coach bolts have a parallel machine thread, a square beneath the domed head and get nuts screwed onto them - completely different

Last edited by a moderator:
So you'd go with those rather than coach bolts for a telly into dot and dab walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back