Getting gas put in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just moved in to a new house, and would like to get gas 'put in', so we can get central heating installed and a gas hob. I don't really know anything about installing gas, so would like to find out a little information first. I.e. who would I ask to get this done? Just British Gas, or can other companies do it?

I have had a search on the net, but not quite sure what terms to use, so haven't found much. Can't even find anything about getting gas installed on the British Gas website.

Anyone give me some pointers on where to look?

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Well it used to be transco,but now there are a number of different companies doing it depending on your area,what your looking for is your gas 'supplier',it's not usually very cheap but once its in thats it,look in your phone book and it should have details of who the gas supplier for your area is.

years ago we had "gas put in" One bloke took 2 days to dig trench lay paipe and ...........................

(oh he never filled the hole in, thats another dept, honest)

at the end of the pipe it was capped off, the bloke who fits the pipe,will not fit the meter, they wont fit the meter unless there is something to connect it to. had to wait for my brother in law to fit boiler so that he could fit meter to gas pipe.

I should point out that my brother inlaw actualy worked for bg. and it was a ;) job.

may his sole rest in piece as some years later he kicked the bucket.

Ask your electricity supplier, and they will do the rest.

Or if you can get multifuel cheaper elsewhere then ask them, but do shop around for the best deal as it could save you a couple of hundred quid

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back