Moving a gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

We are planning to install a bathroom under the stairs but the gas meter is a bit in the way and we would like to get it moved about a meter away from its current position.

I assume it has to be done by British Gas? Or can it be done by anyone with a gas safety certificate?

Sponsored Links
I believe a gas meter can be moved up to a meter by a suitable qualified RGI. I think he needs a MET1 (or similar) qualification to do so. However, if you want your incoming gas main (and stop valve) moved, or the gas meter moved more than one metre, then your gas provider (not your energy company, but your regional supplier!) has to do it. They charge for every meter moved, and the charges are documented on their websites (they are on SGNs anyway), but best to call them out for a survey. The quote is also affected by whether they dig the trench and make good, or if you do.

Sponsored Links
Whilst any RGI can probably move a meter a small distance that is on the basis that the incoming pipework and emergency control valve remain in the same position.

In most cases like this it may be cheaper to have an external meter fitted and then your RGI would separately connect that back to the house pipework.

Last one I was involved with NG charged about £900 to move the meter to the outside and I charged about £220 to extend pipework internally.

Tony

When I had my meter moved approximately 3m to the garage, the charge was for about 6m, as they calculated it based on the pipe being diverted 2m away from the house, and then branched to the new location. They also dug the hole, and reinstated the driveway afterwards. The cost was around £1500. They also did 1-2m of internal pipework to connect the meter to my internal gas supply afterwards (not sure if this is standard, or done as a courtesy). This was through SGN in the south east.

Last one I was involved with NG charged about £900 to move the meter to the outside

Defnately recommend external if the meter ois being moved.

Same as the cost to me ( IIRC ) to move from a surface mounted wall box to a semi-concealed box about a metre along the wall from where the original box was.

SGN quotes me around £500 to move the meter outside. Does any one knows if they are the only ones authorised to do this job? or can i shop around?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back