Getting in a muddle regarding ventilation- am i making things worse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

I am trying to fix a tonne of stuff on a 1970's house i recently got a financial interest in, but i do wonder if i am making things worse with the decisions i make!

I was in the loft recently, and i noticed a touch of condensation (i did feel some air movement in the attic but not a lot)

On the roof i have one 'box' vent, but it is used for the gas fire flue so i dont know if it also vents the roof

I contacted a local roofer who put some soffit vents in front and back of the house... i got him off mybuilder and he has hundreds of positive reviews so seemed a safe bet.

After he had gone i was confused about the exit point for attic air so emailed him asking if the vent on the roof will be both acting as a flue vent and roof vent and he said 'yes it is still a vent'

Is this right, can they vent both a gas fire and attic? i dont understand how?.

If there isnt sufficient exit points for the air will the new back and front soffit vents cause issues? in high wind for example or am i over thinking it?

I have spent thousands in the last 6 months and had variable quality tradesmen so i am short of confidence at the moment and worried that the 'fixes' i am spending money on will be making things worse

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not a gas guy so unqualified opinion but I cannot understand how a gas fire vent could benefit a loft?
surely the gas vent should lead to the fire? If providing air in, it would need to be in the room with the fire?

Not a gas guy so unqualified opinion but I cannot understand how a gas fire vent could benefit a loft?
surely the gas vent should lead to the fire? If providing air in, it would need to be in the room with the fire?

Thats what i thought, that the metal flue would be fitted to the vent and lead to the gas fire so it couldnt act as an attic vent as well

There is definitely no other box on the roof, and no gable vent- i am just concerned that having these soffit vents added might actually make the issue worse for example during storms (air and moisture pulled in and no way to escape) but i could be talking rubbish.

My soffits have vents on all three sides (semi) and it’s fine
i don’t understand that with no direct connection of the flue, surely the fire is pumping CO into the loft?
Unless it feeds a ceiling vent?

Sponsored Links
My soffits have vents on all three sides (semi) and it’s fine
i don’t understand that with no direct connection of the flue, surely the fire is pumping CO into the loft?
Unless it feeds a ceiling vent?

I probably explained myself poorly.

There is a vent on top of the roof, it is connected to the metal flue which runs all the way down to my gas fire (now removed but that is besides the point).

The roofer was suggesting that somehow the vent on the roof would act as both a vent for the flue and a vent for the attic, but i couldnt see how that would possibly work. Since the box on the roof is connected to the flue.

I get the impression that even without high up ventilation, front and back soffits are unlikely to do harm, even if they dont help? in the case of a storm i imagine air taken in the windy side would vent through the vents at the leeward side? I wont have upward pressure causing problems for the roof?

I am probably over thinking it all

Ah!
makes sense. I don’t see that the flue has any ventilation use for the loft.
soffit vents are small and should be fine. Millions of houses have them

Ah!
makes sense. I don’t see that the flue has any ventilation use for the loft.
soffit vents are small and should be fine. Millions of houses have them
Thanks, yeh he only put 4 vents in (they are rectangular, and about 20cm by 20cm with a grille and an insect mesh behind the grille)

I guess the idea that somehow air intake from 4 tiny vents with the wind restriction of the grille and insect mesh would somehow create massive upwards pressure is a bit silly.

In reality i suspect it is too few vents to make much difference either way to airflow?

It doesn't seem as if you have made anything worse. :) Time will tell if the ventilation in the loft is sufficient to prevent the condensation that you were seeing.

this is what my stuff looks like, maybe about 25% is hole v 75% plastic

It doesn't seem as if you have made anything worse. :) Time will tell if the ventilation in the loft is sufficient to prevent the condensation that you were seeing.

Thanks, i dont know why i am stressing over things so much lately, i think its because i had so many problems with a dodgy tradesman when i started refurbing (he smashed a water pipe with a hammer and didnt tell me, i discovered it after he left)

If i need a ridge vent installing, i will do- but i have spent 10k in 5 months so it will have to wait a bit.

this is what my stuff looks like, maybe about 25% is hole v 75% plastic

he put 4 of these in, although this one it seems they are not flush and slightly bent and not fully screwed in (i will silicone it)

not overly impressed at the gaps and bending or am i being too fussy?

1661184042362.png

1661193418539.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back