Getting kitchen electrics tested

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m planning to replace my kitchen in the next couple of months and intend to rewire it at the same time. Currently the cooker in on the downstairs ring and the rest of the kitchen is on the upstairs ring. So I’m going to put in a new cable (6mm) for the cooker and a new ring to supply the rest of the kitchen.
At what point should I be talking to an electrician to get the changes tested and complete the installation certificate. I will need them to add the relevant MCB’s in the consumer unit.
Can I get this done before I plaster over the chases and fit the kitchen or will they need to wait until the kitchen is complete?

Sponsored Links
The electrician needs to be on board before you start. He will let you know what you can and can't do as only an idiot would certify someone elses work. This usually means allowing him to do all of the electrical work
and you doing the related building works (cutting in, plastering, board lifting etc)
That's the easiest option unless you are going to self-notify your LABC in which case it could cost a lot more than paying a registered electrician.

Good point.
I’m I right in thinking that if a reasonable change is made to a ring then that ring will need to be tested? e.g. removing the cooker from the downstairs ring and the rest of the kitchen from the upstairs ring.

Sponsored Links
ANY change to ANY circuit requires testing and the test results recorded on a Minor Works Certificate.

That is the only way that it can be confirmed that (after the wiring alterations) the circuit still meets the requirements of BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back