What cables to use for a cooker/kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Please forgive my total lack of electrical DIY knowledge before I start.

In March I had a complete rewire done on a house I bought last November. The kitchen sockets are on a separate ring circuit to the rest of the house sockets/lights. This ring has a trip switch fuse of 32A.

On the wall is a fused control unit leading off to a spur under the work surface where there will eventually be a cooker hard wired into a junction box.

This is where I show my complete lack of knowledge... As I been working my way around the house plastering up the conduit channels I've noticed that all the wiring looks the same throughout the house including the kitchen ring circuit and this cooker spur (standard 2.5mm???)

Shouldn't the wiring for the cooker spur, or maybe the entire kitchen ring be a thicker wire if it is on a 32A fuse?

Am I going to die a horrible death when the kitchen wall catches fire? HELP!

Sponsored Links
You use the word cooker - do you really mean cooker or do you mean oven or hob? Are they electric items or gas? You can generally fit a single electric oven to a 13A fused spur, but an electric hob or cooker (a hob and oven/s) will require it's own dedicated circuit and can not be spurred from the kitchen ring circuit.

A kitchen doesn't require larger cables, a dedicated circuit wired in 2.5mm² t&e on a 32A MCB is fine.

At the moment there is a 'cooker' plugged in via a thick cable.. NOT ideal I know!!!

But when I eventually have the kitchen refitted I intend to have an electrical oven with a gas hob unit above.

Sponsored Links
In that case, as I mentioned previously, a single electric oven will be fine connected to the fused spur you have available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back