Getting Loft Conversion- Conventional boiler to Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads my first post here so go abit easy plz lol,

We currently have the conventional boiler which we had fitted in 2011 along with radiators and piping.
Now because we're getting our loft converted into a living room we have to get rid of the old water tank in the loft.
This is a pretty new system we have its a bosch greenstar 12i product number 7716130143.

Havent had any plumbers around yet but could use some advice. Is ther any way of keeping the current boiler by hooking it to the mains water or is it not going to work without a tank in the loft.

Getting 2 bedrooms and shower fitted upstairs so combi might be pointless.

Getting the whole house plastered aswell so rather get it all done in 1 go by chasing the pipes into walls. Work starts in a few weeks so need to decide by then.

Any help and advice will be apreciated.
If the combi can run 1 shower and a tap in the kitchen along with the washing machine then i dont mind changing over because all the pipes need replacing anyway because they are painted over and will be an eyesore once renovation is done.

Sponsored Links
Cheapest and easiest way is to use an electric shower and under sink heaters.

But better shower if it to be used regularly, if you have an unvented cylinder somewhere. They can be heated by your existing boiler.

They can be bought to be used horizontally so can often be hidden along roof slopes.

No combi can serve more than one outlet properly at a time. I never recommend a combi for more than two people. But you don't say how many are to be there.

Tony

Last edited:
Cheapest and easiest way is to use an electric shower and under sink heaters.

But better shower if it to be used regularly, if you have an unvented cylinder somewhere. They can be heated by your existing boiler.

They can be bought to be used horizontally so can often be hidden along roof slopes.

No combi can serve more than one outlet properly at a time. I never recommend a combi for more than two people. But you don't say how many are to be there.

Tony
Its semi detached 3 bedroom 1 bathroom soon to be 5 bedroom 2 bathrooms. 7 people in total. I've read somewhere that a bigger capacity 42i boiler can run 2 bathrooms though

Amazing what you can read !

With seven people I would be recommending a 300 li cylinder and probably a mains water upgrade depending on your current dynamic flow rate..

But it takes up a little space, about 600 x 600 floor space. Not difficult to find a small space like that in a house!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Amazing what you can read !

With seven people I would be recommending a 300 li cylinder and probably a mains water upgrade depending on your current dynamic flow rate..

But it takes up a little space, about 600 x 600 floor space. Not difficult to find a small space like that in a house!

Tony
It would suit me more to just keep the existing system but im not sure i can do that without the tank in the loft.

You need a 300 litre cylinder somewhere!

But it does not have to be in the loft.

Anywhere in the house, garage or even a small lean too brick cupboard.

Tony

Modern washing machines generally don't have a hot feed. Thermal stores and unvented cylinders are mains cold fed. Either should be compatible with your existing boiler and don't require the cold storage tank. As Tony said, you will need to check your incoming mains flow rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back