Getting petrol...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might seem like a stupid question, but as someone who's never done it before, i'm a little unsure..

I've been given a petrol lawnmower and so obviously now need some petrol. Are there any restrictions on what I can put it in at the petrol station pump - or can I just use the plastic 'fuel can' type thing? Any tips on filling it? Never operated a fuel pump anywhere other than firmly in the neck of the tank on my car, so I've no idea how fast the fuel comes out - is there a realistic chance I'm going to get covered in petrol if i'm not really careful...?

Sorry if it is a stupid question....

Sponsored Links
Use a small petrol can designed for the purpose, I can't remember if they are 5l or 10l but I think it's more likely 5l. Fill up when you fill the car but do the can first, use the gauge on the pump to work out when your 5l is up and you are done then fill the car. You can control the speed of the pump with the trigger to some extent but it doesn't take long to pump 5l so keep your eye on it.

Not a stupid question at all, yes there are regs, on how much you can fill, and what you can fill. I wont insult you're intelligence, just google it (that's cos I don't know them offhand!!)

Far better to ask than be sorry.

Just to add, be careful not to fill too quickly as the pump cutout may not work too well and you will get covered in petrol, not to mention the cost of the fuel you loose in the process!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, from what i can see, you must use either a 5litre plastic can or a 10litre metal can and you can store up to 2 of each at home (not in the house) ie. 30litres max.

Getting it home is less clear from a legal point of view - it seems if you get stopped with petrol in a can in your car, its up to the police to decide if what you're carrying is dangerous or not. But I'm assuming I'd be ok with a 5litre can. I was told that a couple of litres will last ages in the mower (we haven't got that much grass!!) so i wont need much.

Thanks kb - it was the safety aspect of getting splashed with petrol that I was worrying about - but hadn't thought about how much tax i'll be paying on the stuff I waste!! :evil:

Just be careful how you store it in the boot of the car AND DON'T SMOKE, it's not the fuel that ignites, it's the vapour fumes.

Just to add, be careful not to fill too quickly as the pump cutout may not work too well and you will get covered in petrol, not to mention the cost of the fuel you loose in the process!

Some Tesco pumps are "intelligent" in that you can dial in how much fuel you want (Quants or £) to be delivered.

total storage at home is 20L in max size of 10L cans....

Makes you wonder why halfords can get away with selling these...

Additional Information

Please Note : 20L exceeds the maximum container capacity permitted under the Petroleum-Spirit Regulations, 1929. Not Suitable for drinking water. TUV approved.

Never been questioned on usage though... ;)

Makes you wonder why halfords can get away with selling these...

That's supposed to be a Diesel can not a petrol can, I bought the same when the petrol blockades were on as they had run out of Petrol cans, I just never put more than 10l in it. Almost sure it says on the label it's for Diesel

That's supposed to be a Diesel can not a petrol can, I bought the same when the petrol blockades were on as they had run out of Petrol cans, I just never put more than 10l in it. Almost sure it says on the label it's for Diesel

Can hold 20 litres of fuel

Thanks guys, from what i can see, you must use either a 5litre plastic can or a 10litre metal can and you can store up to 2 of each at home (not in the house) ie. 30litres max.

Getting it home is less clear from a legal point of view - it seems if you get stopped with petrol in a can in your car, its up to the police to decide if what you're carrying is dangerous or not. But I'm assuming I'd be ok with a 5litre can. I was told that a couple of litres will last ages in the mower (we haven't got that much grass!!) so i wont need much.

Thanks kb - it was the safety aspect of getting splashed with petrol that I was worrying about - but hadn't thought about how much tax i'll be paying on the stuff I waste!! :evil:

Make sure the can is on the ground when you fill it, and you wont get splashed,
Certain Supermarket Garages will ban you if dont put the can on the ground.

[

Its a jerry can and can be used for either petrol or deisel

Its a jerry can and can be used for either petrol or deisel

Just checked mine, halfords 20l jerry can, states on the label "suitable for diesel fuel" which is probably how they can get away with selling it when the limit for petrol is 10l. maybe they don't state that on the label anymore which is why they state on the website that it's bigger than permitted for petrol.

Of course you can store petrol, milk, champagne or whatever else you want in it, but unless the rules have changed they can't legally sell it for storage of 20l of petrol.

You used to be able to get them cheaply from Army surplus stores (got a few at around £5 each not that many years ago) and they always had the date of manufactured impressesdin them. One was 1945 and still in good condition.
Someone at a Landrover dealers' who sells these told me that the modern jerry cans are actually made in Eastern Europe. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back