Getting rid of old petrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weird question... how do I dispose of petrol? :eek:

For my lawnmower I have about 5 litres, premixed with 2-stroke oil, that has been sitting in my shed for over a year. I need to dispose of it as I'm going to service the mower and don't want to use the old fuel/oil mix (I suspect that leaving pre-mixed petrol and oil in the tank was a bad idea)

The rubbish dump has no idea what to do, and there's no way I'm pouring it into my car. 5 litres is a bit much to light a bonfire! :LOL: :evil:

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

For my lawnmower I have about 5 litres, premixed with 2-stroke oil, that has been sitting in my shed for over a year. I need to dispose of it as I'm going to service the mower and don't want to use the old fuel/oil mix (I suspect that leaving pre-mixed petrol and oil in the tank was a bad idea)

The rubbish dump has no idea what to do, and there's no way I'm pouring it into my car. 5 litres is a bit much to light a bonfire! :LOL: :evil:

Any thoughts?
once you get your lawnmower serviced and running again, use about half a litre at a time, mixed with good fuel, if your grass grows as fast as mine, then it won't take long to use it up.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
It might not be a good idea to use it in the car, as the oil in the mix could damage the catalytic converter.

It's far too expensive to throw away. Wotan's idea is best.

The oil will be burnt off in combustion won't it?

Do you actually know that 2 stroke oil will damage the converter or is it just a guess?

I've bunged some of this in the car in the past, with no probelm

i have two stroke garden machinery that sits in storage over winter or sometimes a year or two between uses. Ive never had a problem with any of it starting with old petrol in it. If youre really worried then add a little bit of new petrol in it.

Any thoughts?

Pour it into an oil container, mix it with a bit of engine oil and take it to the dump, my friend works at our local dump and he says people do it all the time.

Can't you pour it out in a really long line, then light it?

That should reduce the ferocity of the initial fireball :D

Keep it till 5th November then become a friend of the local kids. :LOL:

Ha! Mix it with old engine oil or just burn it... both more fun than my plans!

I thought it best not to put it in the car as I drive an MG-Rover and they're not the most reliable cars at the best of times, I think the engine would see it as an excuse if I poured in some 2007 vintage with 2-stroke oil :LOL:

I think I'll try Wotan and Thermo's ideas of mixing it up with fresh fuel. My main concern was water in the fuel, but I've kept it in a proper jerry so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

As carburettor, air and spark seem to be fine my only thought was that old fuel had varnished the valve openings... hence my misgivings about using aged petrol. Ah well, once it's cleaned it shouldn't matter, I'll give it a good burn to make sure once it's running. The mower (inherited) is getting on a bit, but it's a strong old beast so would love to keep it running.

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
Back