GETTING QUALIFIED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regarding the new regulations for electrical wiring installations, I have a fair bit of experience but would like a recognised qualification for doing this type of work in the future. (My nephew is a qualified spark and taught me all about domestic re-wires some years ago). Any recommendations which wouldn't involve a long apprenticeship? As a middle-aged dumb blonde I don't think I would find anybody to take me on - not for wiring anyway. :O)

Sponsored Links
Ignore shaggy, he's just being a pest. What's your phone number? ;) ;)

Seriously, unless you actually do electrical work for real, you will not be able to register with any of the competent persons schemes as you need to show examples of work, take out insurance etc.

By all means get C&G 2381 and 2391 (I'm seriously considering it), as you can then ignore Part P with a clear conscience (i.e. you can be comfortable that you've not done anything dangerous, so you have complied with the Building Regs from that POV).

And maybe if you're lucky enough to have a friendly and cooperative LABC they might accept your signature on an EIC instead of a 3rd party if you notify them...

Sponsored Links
of course you could always contact the regulatory body to enquire about the domestic installers course. Of coursethey would then totaly ignore you and be totally unhelpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back