Getting rid of electric shower, what alternative?

Sponsored Links
I have a combi boiler and an electric shower.

There's never enough pressure in the mornings for the electric shower to work properly so we end up being frustrated and annoyed. Standing in a cold shower with no pressure isn't the best start to the day :)

So we want to change things. The two alternatives as I see it are:

1. We get a normal mixer-tap style shower and run a hot water pipe from the bath to the shower and let it run off the combi boiler. This will give us warm water but will do nothing for the crap pressure.

2. We get a hot water tank in the loft. Possibly only linked to the shower. Not sure how we could use the combi boiler for this though. Maybe get an electric heated tank?

Thoughts?

Do not bother with hot water cylinder, etc. You have a combi. The pressure is poor. Get the pressure up.

Can a new cold mains pipe from the street be run in?

If not then fit a cold water accumulator cylinder.It stores cold water and needs no pumps or electrics being a passive device. Then pressure and flow to the place will good at all taps. Remove electric shower and run from the combi. You will not look back.

johnsville: No - we can't get a new mains pipe. Plus next door's water is just as bad as ours so I don't think that will help. How will a cold water accumulator cylinder help the pressure issues? Surely the water will just sit in a tank instead?

seco: I've been looking at the salamander ESP pump and I think it will do exactly what I want. The diagram on that page is exactly what I had in my head. This is getting a bit easier for me to budget for. Looks like £450 should cover the parts, yay!

Sponsored Links
johnsville: No - we can't get a new mains pipe. Plus next door's water is just as bad as ours so I don't think that will help. How will a cold water accumulator cylinder help the pressure issues? Surely the water will just sit in a tank instead?

The "static" pressure (no flow) may be quite high. Measure it. It is when the flow starts and the "dynamic" pressure drops off to near nothing in some cases. The accumulator is charged up to the static pressure by the cold water mains. It keeps this charge of water and gives excellent flow and pressure (dynamic pressure) until exhausted and then it recharges from the mains. Simple and very effective. It can even go in a garage. Maintenance free. Also a store of water in case of an outage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back