Getting ring main ends to CU under the stairs

Yes, I agree, too. Provided the (intact) cables go through the box, then nothing short of crass stupidity is going to result in loss of the blank plate which 'announces' their possible presence. As you say, just 'borrowing the safe zone' created by some other accessory, without one's cable going through the back box of that other accessory, would not be totally foolproof.
And going through it would not be compliant.

Read the 2nd sentence of 522.6.202(i) very carefully.

Sponsored Links
And going through it would not be compliant. Read the 2nd sentence of 522.6.202(i) very carefully.
We've been through this before, and I agree that it can be said to not be strictly compliant. However, for the reasons I've given I'm personally happy that it is consistent with the spirit of the regulation, and I hence would personally have no particular concerns. I can predict how you're probably going to respond, but that doesn't particularly worry me. (and if I 'go down', EFLI, and probably a good few others, will be coming with me).

Kind Regards, John

We've been through this before, and I agree that it can be said to not be strictly compliant. However, for the reasons I've given I'm personally happy that it is consistent with the spirit of the regulation, and I hence would personally have no particular concerns.
But it's not your call.

Or mine.

Or EFLI's.

Or the OP's.

Whether you regard it as "pestering" or not, the only suggestion that can be made is that you must ask your electrician.
the OP would be well advised to get agreement from his electrician that he's happy for it to be done that way.
You need to clear the route with your guy.

But the OP seems reluctant to accept that if he is expecting someone to sign an EIC he ought to allow that person to be truthful when doing so.

our old house was same layout all wires from c u went up the cavity to the loft then dropped down from there for first floor

Sponsored Links
Obvious option is to go round to the box room (I'd have put a socket in a convenient place to make the "dropper" run easier to handle), and apiece of earthed metal conduit down the wall until you are under the stairs. A round metal conduit that'll take 2off 2.5mm² T&E won't be easy to chase in if it's hard brick/block - especially where you have to go behind the side of the stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back