Getting ring main ends to CU under the stairs

If the cable routes are causing that much bother, put the consumer unit somewhere more convenient.

Sponsored Links
We've discussed this before, and I don't think there is any certainty (or, at least a consensus about a certainty) that, strictly speaking, a blank plate with no 'connections' behind it necessarily creates a 'safe zone' - although, in common sense terms, it obviously goes a long way towards achieving that.

Strictly speaking, it doesn't, so the OP would be well advised to get agreement from his electrician that he's happy for it to be done that way.

As I say, apart from ripping the kitchen apart, it's difficult to tell, hence the thought of taking a more convenient route
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you tell Building Control would be your way to ensure compliance with Part P?

There will be a light switch at the bottom of the stairs, for the landing/stairs light. That creates you "safe" zone for the vertical up to the ceiling.

How do you plan to run the cables along the ground floor? In your diagram it looks liekm they are at skirting height. That is not permitted.
Under the floor is where they should be.

Sponsored Links
Besides that, why is it only the route for this one circuit that is being discussed?

What about all the others that will be required?

It doesn't. "Safe"zones only apply to the connected cables of an accessory.
Much as I understand the reason for that, it creates the rather silly (or perhaps ironic) situation (with the blank plate, not TTC's light switch) in which one can presumably make it compliant by putting loads of unnecessary joints (one in each cable) behind the blank plate?

Kind Regards, John

If the cable routes are causing that much bother, put the consumer unit somewhere more convenient.

I thought about that... moving it to the wall near the front door would make things easier... but then I'd still need to get the incoming supply back to that point, so still need a way of getting that feed from under the stairs to the new position.

Plus it's on show, so won't look great

Much as I understand the reason for that, it creates the rather silly (or perhaps ironic) situation (with the blank plate, not TTC's light switch) in which one can presumably make it compliant by putting loads of unnecessary joints (one in each cable) behind the blank plate?
I agree, but I would say that if the cable runs through a back box to which the blank plate is screwed then it would be alright.
Also - just sticking a blank plate on the wall would, I think, be unacceptable.

I presume the regulation is so worded to prevent unseen and therefore unknown cables running in the same place.

I agree, but I would say that if the cable runs through a back box to which the blank plate is screwed then it would be alright. Also - just sticking a blank plate on the wall would, I think, be unacceptable.
Yes, I agree with all that, since it very largely removes the risk that the backbox (and blanking plate) could be removed (or rendered 'invisible') without removing the cables (and/or terminating them in some alternative accessory at the same place). However, I seem to recall that when we last discussed this, at least one person came up with the 'concern' that someone could remove the blanking plate, fill the backbox (complete with cables) with plaster and then paint/paper over it all - but I am not sure I would be too concerned about such a hypothetical possibility!

Kind Regards, John

came up with the 'concern' that someone could remove the blanking plate, fill the backbox (complete with cables) with plaster and then paint/paper over it all - but I am not sure I would be too concerned about such a hypothetical possibility!
No, I agree - can't cover stupidity.

However, there is a possibility that someone could move lightswitch to the other side of a door, disconnect the original cable correctly and plaster over it without being aware of other cables (deeper) in the same place.

No, I agree - can't cover stupidity. However, there is a possibility that someone could move lightswitch to the other side of a door, disconnect the original cable correctly and plaster over it without being aware of other cables (deeper) in the same place.
Yes, I agree, too. Provided the (intact) cables go through the box, then nothing short of crass stupidity is going to result in loss of the blank plate which 'announces' their possible presence. As you say, just 'borrowing the safe zone' created by some other accessory, without one's cable going through the back box of that other accessory, would not be totally foolproof.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I agree, too. Provided the (intact) cables go through the box, then nothing short of crass stupidity is going to result in loss of the blank plate which 'announces' their possible presence. As you say, just 'borrowing the safe zone' created by some other accessory, without one's cable going through the back box of that other accessory, would not be totally foolproof.

Kind Regards, John

Am thinking I might just take them right to the front of the house (under the floorboards in the box room) then take them down right in the corner of the wall (vertical safe zone) then cut a channel in the concrete floor below the wooden skirting (DPM also to contend with in that case) and then directly under the bottom stair, through to the cupboard.

Loads of work, but surely that will comply fully with 17th? Or is the bottom stair an issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back