getting sand cement screed level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a sharp sand cement screed to an uneven floor in my lounge in the summer about 50mm thick but there are a few un-even parts (still bettewr than it was though).

I basically poured the mix from a wheel barrow onto the existing floor and smoothed it with a steel plasters trowel, but its not as flat as i would have liked and im going to do the same in my dining room next and I need it to be really level coz im putting a laminate floor over it.

Other than calling a professional in does anyone have any tips how to get it spot on level with no slight hollows? I was considering using a really wet mix screed and letting gravity do its best with a bit of help from from me but not sure if this would be even more difficult than with a dryish mix!

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
what i have done is placed timber on two sides of the room with the top at the hight of the new floor, then skimmed the top with a long plank. removed the side timbers later and then filled in.

thanks merlin, thats what i did last time but when i went over with he trowel to flatten the edges thats when i got the hollows. it hink the screed wasnt compact enough.

I only need to raise the floor level about 35mm as the laminate and underlay will porvide the other 15mm, so I wonder if laying harboard that is glued to the existing concrete would be OK? It would certainly provide the level surface i need?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back