getting signed off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am about to have an extention built, my nephew is in his 3rd yr doing an eletrical course and would like to have him to do all the electrical work. ( good experience)

my question is will the council sign this off or do i need and inderpentent to do it.

andy

Sponsored Links
Why ask us?

We are not your council.

If I wanted to know if my council would do something, I would ask them, not someone else.

my question is will the council sign this off or do i need and inderpentent to do it.
Some councils will readily accept DIY electrical work provided the design, installation and test results are fully and clearly documented and demonstrate competance. They may require additional documentation to explain the methods in langauge the Building Control officer will understand and accept.

As Ban suggested, contact the local authority and ask what they will require from a DIY installer. Don't ask if they will accept DIY work, ask what they expect and what help they can offer when DIY work is carried out.

Sounds like a good project, could he do it with one of his work colleagues?

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies, yeah would be a great project for him.
i have phoned the council and can be done . they want £240 to check and sign it off.
ban all sheds, why ask here well, i was under the impresion forums were here to help people, doesnt matter what the question is , can allways find the answer somewhere else!!
stop being a padantic moron and help not hinder.
building inspector even suggested using at as part of his collage work.

i have phoned the council
Which is what you should have done in the first instance?

stop being a padantic moron
Me a moron?

:rolleyes:

I'm not the one who thinks it's better to ask on an internet form what their council's position on electrical work is than to ask the council themselves.

and help not hinder.
I did help.

I told you to ask the council.

As did Bernard.

And as you eventually did, and got your question answered, so clearly asking them was the right thing to do.

just as well close forum down as people can get the answer eslewhere,

and yes the others helped with some of there pionts

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

You wanted to find something out about your council's position on XYZ.

lugo35: What's my council's position on XYZ?

ban-all-sheds: Ask your council.

bernardgreen: Ask your council.

lugo35: I've asked my council and found out what I wanted to know.

Are you seriously suggesting that all questions here have to be fully answered from scratch, and that advising people to consult other sources of information is unacceptable?

Or are you just getting bent out of shape because you didn't want to be rsed to try and consult the obvious source and wanted a full answer here because that was easier for you?

Just what makes you think that when you asked your question what should have happened was that somebody here would go off and consult your council and then report back with their answer?

To Ban

You could have added a bit to explain how to approach the council.

"Can my nephew sign off his DIY install ?" Will get a jobs worth answer which will probably be " No "

"My nephew is going to install the electrics in an extension. What will he need to provide in order for you to accept his signature on the certification documents ? What help can you offer him ? " Will get a much more inter active response.

My point is Ban is that instead of giving short sharp accurate answers add a bit to your answers in order to steer the person in the right direction when they take your advice.

Ban

It's the WAY you do it that grates with so many people.

The op is right. The whole purpose of the forum should be to HELP and GUIDE.

So - explaining how the council works, what it does and how best to approach them is infinitely more helpful than stating the obvious in a highly abrupt manner which so many people find offensive (even though you never see this, there must be some merit in the reaction of countless people on here).

After all, the answer in every internet forum could, I suppose, be 'go and consult an expert'...

...but that would kind of defeat the object.

As Shedbang has stated, it's the way that you reply grates.

Your initial reply was
/quote Why ask us?
We are not your council.
If I wanted to know if my council would do something, I would ask them, not someone else.
Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/getting-signed-off.333533/#ixzz23HDs41JS
/end quote

A far better reply would have been:

Your best plan would be to contact your local council's Buildings Inspector. He is the one who can answer your question with any certainty. Please post back and let us know how you get on.

Anyone want to comment? - No, cancel that, it will probably overload the servers!

To Ban

You could have added a bit to explain how to approach the council.

"Can my nephew sign off his DIY install ?" Will get a jobs worth answer which will probably be " No "

"My nephew is going to install the electrics in an extension. What will he need to provide in order for you to accept his signature on the certification documents ? What help can you offer him ? " Will get a much more inter active response.

My point is Ban is that instead of giving short sharp accurate answers add a bit to your answers in order to steer the person in the right direction when they take your advice.

I like this ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back