Yet another quick fan question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My nephew has to install an extractor fan before his house can be signed off.
Can he install it himself? It will be taken from the light circuit and he is an electrically biased engineer but doesn't have the qualifications to sign electrical work off. Would he do aminor works certificate? He is prepared to get a spark if necessary but feels competent to do the work himself.

Sponsored Links
My nephew has to install an extractor fan before his house can be signed off.
Ok. If true.

Can he install it himself?
If the Building inspector deems him competent.

It will be taken from the light circuit and he is an electrically biased engineer but doesn't have the qualifications to sign electrical work off.
No qualifications are required to 'sign off' work.

Would he do a minor works certificate?
If that would be adequate.
Anyone can complete any certificate - minor works or electrical installation - but obviously the necessary equipment and knowledge is required.

He is prepared to get a spark if necessary but feels competent to do the work himself.
He might be competent to do the work but not adequately equipped to test to satisfy the inspector.

Is there no window in the room?
All that is required is "adequate ventilation in the building for people". People think that means fans must be installed but it does not really.

It is up to the inspector who might not be correct.

Apparently it was on the plans but was omitted during the build. Not sure if there is a window as he is up North. It's in a utility room, not bathroom/shower room.

He is perfectly competent but yes, as you say, I don't think he will have the necessary test equipment.
Thanks for your reply EFL.

Sponsored Links
I am sure there is nothing mandating a fan in a utility room.
After all a drier could be vented outside itself.

Ask the buildings inspector if it must be fitted.

If not, then it can be fitted later if wanted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back