Getting bathroom electrics signed off - After completion!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
A friend of mine installed all the bathroom electrics in his new bathroom himself as a competent DIY-er.
This included re-wiring the light switch (replacing pull cord for standard switch outside), fitting a timer extractor fan to the light (with isolator) and installing a shaver socket off the lighting circuit.
Assuming this work was completed a while ago, say one year, how would he go about getting this work approved and signed off before selling the property.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
He should call his local building control and tell them what he's done. He should of told them before he started the work.

Sponsored Links
How long has he been in the house? Is it possible the work was done before he moved in? Can he not sell without the 'signing off'?

I sold my house recently with no certificates for anything. The house I bought had none either.

You're 'Friend' sounds slightly foolish.

Your, not you're.

as it's bloody dangerous for diyer to do this

Is it? Why does doing it yourself now make it unsafe for the work to go ahead?

epically in a bathroom where a lethal combination of electric and water reside.

There is no lethal combination, they're both separate.

I imagine however in most scenarios where old wiring is concerned that people alter electrics to their hearts content knowing there is very little chance of it coming back to them hence the introduction or new harmonised wiring which since it's introduction requires a qualification to install...

Absolute rubbish. Harmonised wiring was not introduced for that reason and needs no qualification to install anymore than the old stuff.

I suggest you have a lot of reading and learning to do yourself.

Hi All,
A friend of mine installed all the bathroom electrics in his new bathroom himself as a competent DIY-er.
This included re-wiring the light switch (replacing pull cord for standard switch outside), fitting a timer extractor fan to the light (with isolator) and installing a shaver socket off the lighting circuit.
Assuming this work was completed a while ago, say one year, how would he go about getting this work approved and signed off before selling the property.
Cheers

I wouldn't worry about it. When you sell up, just tick no for any new works being carried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back