Getting somewhere with boiler smell!

But that would be unburnt gas!

You have decided you don't have unburnt gas!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Did you not say the gas valve has already been changed?

Your correct it isn't a natural gas smell but something ollski said earlier:

If it occurs after shut down the likelihood is that the gas valve is faulty and you are smelling a poor combustion smell back through the air intake when the fan stops.

The gas valve has never been changed.

But it is a very simple test to see if the gas valve is letting gas pass .

I would have expected that test would have already been done by at least one of those attending!

Sponsored Links
It was removed and an attempt to blow through it! This confirmed it was closed!

Sniffer was used on it also no gas.

Seems mixed opinions on here regarding their reliability.

Gas valves are very reliable.

Not sure about this blowing through!

Not a normal test!

A few photos of the install: boiler siting/casing/flue/terminal siting and surrounding areas might be useful!

and you are smelling a poor combustion smell back through the air intake when the fan stops.

Very unlikely, air or smell from the air intake could only get into the room if the seal on the air chamber was damaged and leaking

......room seal-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside---air intake----air chamber----into fan--out of fan----mix air with gas-----combustion chamber---heat exchanger----flue to outside
.....room seal---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the smell of combustion might be entering the room through a window, air vent, extractor or other opening.

I wonder if a leak in the bathroom plumbing is dripping through the ceiling.

Pic attached. This was put in 5 years ago. We've been told is still complies to latest regs.

It's a smell with the boiler casing that escapes into the room. One of the RGEs agreed this one time he took the cover off and got the smell.

Attachments

• 20170123_100912.jpg
    20170123_100912.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 185
The case seals on that model look pretty robust.

But if you think the case may be leaking you could stick masking tape along all the joints.

Also look underneath in case there are any grommets missing from the cable entry holes.

Tony

Tony my main issue though, is it acceptable for this smell to be inside the boiler in the first place? If everything was perfect could you not technically run the boiler with the casing cover off.

I am going to try your masking tape fix to prove the smell is in the boiler casing. Although I know it is.

Thanks

I think a joss stick would be better than candle(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back