Getting the label adhesive off Howdens primed wood doors

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I've bought primed wood doors from Howdens, and I'll be painting with water-based undercoat and top coat.

There's a 7" label on the side of each one.

Water and a rag takes the paper of the label off, leaving the adhesive. Usually I'd use lemon oil to remove this kind of adhesive, but I don't think that'll be good on the primer.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Mary

Sponsored Links
I think I'd try Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) not used it on a bare wood before painting, but can't see it would cause a problem as it evaporates pretty quickly. Sold in bottles by chemical suppliers, can also get it in spray cans from electrical wholesalers, industrial suppliers etc, where its generally labelled up as electrical cleaner and often with a picture of a 8 bit ISA 10Base2 network card on the can

Thanks Adam and Opps.
IPA worked - have some in a tiny bottle, left over from about 30 years ago for cleaning cassette playing heads. Good to hear of those products if/when it runs out.
Meanwhile I am using hairdryer to warm the other labels. This keeps the glue on the sticker as I peel it off, not on the door.

Sponsored Links
These sticky labels are a nightmare.

I had to remove the backing of one two days ago - white spirit seemed to get it off immediately.

Bit late now, but may or may not help in the future.

• Thanks
Reactions: Min

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back