HELP! Which paint should I use? Pre-primed louvre doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys please help, I need an expert!

Got some louvre doors from https://www.simplyshutters.co.uk/sh...ors-white-line-painted-louvre-doors-p-89.html

They came: "painted in white to save you the laborious task of having to prepare and prime the wood yourself..." - To be quite honest I'd have bought them non-painted if they'd sold the size I needed, apparently this company only does very high ones in pre-primed! - "...As is customary with all primed finishes, the primed coat on the doors will need scuffing up with a fine sandpaper (to aid better adhesion) prior to applying your chosen topcoat."

Well I rubbed them down with medium grit sandpaper and cleaned off the dust with a damp microfibre cloth. Then, figuring the wood paint I used on my internal doors and skirting boards would do the job I began to paint.

Problem is that the paint did not adhere to the surface - at all. As you can see in the image below, it simply gathered in certain areas much like water does on glass. When it dried it simply dried in these areas so the finish is terrible, uneven and has not adhered.

The paint is water based wickes truewhite undercoat: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Truewhite-Undercoat-White-5L/p/121783. Water based and part of a two part system with the Truewhite Satinwood topcoat which I was going to use to finish. Pretty standard so I thought!

SimplyShutters had naff all to say in way of recommendation for the kind of paint I do need to use however to their credit they did share a spec sheet. The email I got said: "
According to our suppliers website the doors are finished in a non –toxic coating by two components polyurethane resin compound. For technical specifications on the doors see here: http://www.frameport.com.br/site/ficha.php"

The link states: For Primed Doors: Non-toxic coating with water based soluble acrylic resin.
For Finished Doors: Non-toxic coating by two components polyurethane resin compound.

So this is additionally confusing because the name of the product I brought states 'primed' and yet the reply mentioned the part about the 'finished' doors. Seeing as the company sell coloured decorative shutters I'm going to assume that they are in fact simply primed and as the spec sheet states, this consists of a non-toxic coating with water based soluble acrylic resin.

That being the case, what on earth should I be painting them with now? I would have thought that being water based like the primer there should be no conflict between the two.

Can anyone please help me with this? I will be eternally grateful!!

Sponsored Links
Whatever you put on is reacting with the original coating. I would give a coat of Zinsser Cover stain and then carry on with whatever you were using.

Thanks for your thoughts Robbie, I can see why you're saying that based on the photo - it almost looks like there has been a chemical reaction but in actuality the paint I applied has not reacted at all and is just sitting on top of the other paint. I just checked and you can easily scratch off the new 'layer' with ones finger. The original primer the manufacturers put on is unaltered underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back