Getting the most out of softwood decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've just ordered softwood decking from Wickes as they had a good deal on. I had a little look at composite and hardwood but this deal made it seem the best option for me.

Now that I've done this, what would be the best way to get the most out of it. We only have a small garden so the entire area is being decked and will get full family use!

There seems to be conflicting opinions about oil or water based treatment. I'm after something that will help to protect against mold, be as non slippery as possible and prevent as many splinters as possible too.

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
I think the "softwood" tag is misleading and unnecessary... Yew is a softwood... and bizarely balsa wood is actually a hardwood !!!!
(it's something to do with the shape of the leaves i think? :eek: )

But yeah most manufacturors should sell a suitable product, and you need to look after it, as the weather can be harsh.... treat it once every other year,, and you'll be fine !!

(don't use balse wood though !!! ;) )

as an aside if you are covering more than 50% off the garden as it was when the house was built you need planning permission
this includes extentions garden buildings and decking

cheers. I'm replacing what is already there so hopefully planning permission won't be an issue.

Can anyone recommend a product or make? Or is the wickes oil just as good as cuprinol etc?

I hope its not balsa ;)

Sponsored Links
if its more than half the garden
and you work is considered as new rather than repair you may have a problem but only if someone complains and draws attention to the powers to be ;)

in my experience, cost describes performance... but even then Mother nature will overcome, so you need to be on top of it and re-treat... whether it be 2 years or 6 years.....just keep an eye on it !!

cheers. I'm replacing what is already there so hopefully planning permission won't be an issue.

Can anyone recommend a product or make? Or is the wickes oil just as good as cuprinol etc?

I hope its not balsa ;)

Well what was already there then? :confused:

I always use cuprinol on mine,I oil it twice a year in the spring and autumn,it might be an overkill but it won't do any harm.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm replacing decking that was already there but has seen better days. At the moment, its over two levels and I'm planning on making it one level. Rather than put down old decking I thought I'd replace with new.

The decking that has arrived is quite green in places. Do I need to treat it with something else before oiling?

Much appreciated!!

No but you need to leave it to dry out for 6 weeks . depending on how recently it was tanalised the treatment of the timber will still be coming out.

Thanks r896neo,

I'm not sure when it was tanalised. At the moment its just sitting weighed down in my garden under a tarpaulin. I don't think I'll be able to do anything for about 3 weeks. I was under the impression that I should use it as soon as I can?

I have the same wickes decking boards. I think you hearing the need to use is asap is that as it "dries" it can warp and twist slightly. This can make it awkward when laying it as you need to bend the planks back to get then straight. I only had to do it on a few (put of 50), Ira no buggy if you can get someone to screw them in whilst you bend then slightly.

yes lay it asap but once laid you need to leave it to dry for 6 weeks beforte oiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back