Getting this wall to a good standard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I'm in the process of some minor renovation work. But never having done this before I've come a bit unstuck. This is the offending wall

49e59784.jpg

I've read lots of forums but would just like someone to give me a step by step. What do I need to do first to last?

Bonding paste? pva? do I need to render it before I plaster it?
At the moment I've Wire brushed it all back and pulled all the loose plaster off but some still remains plus some old render that is stable. The old render/plaster is about 1cm deep.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Charlie

Sponsored Links
Hate to say it mate but i think you need to get yourself a professional to come and do it. It looks far too big a job for a novice

Yeah I know it's a bigish job, but without giving it a go I'll never know. Plus if it really is a disaster I can get the pros in.

Charlie

I think you'll have to batten it and board it out.

Sponsored Links
1. Are there any damp issues?

2. Trouble with boarding out, altho it would well do the job, it can create quite a bit of detailing and re-fixing, and, for DIY'ers, it can cause further conundrums regarding fixing units etc.

3. Good on you mate for having a go, thats a great attitude, if you dont mind me saying so. Whichever option you choose, research on these forums and come back for helpful advice if you get stuck.

AAMOI: 1. if you plaster the wall, then before doing the wall, hack in at the wall -ceiling line for snugging your ceiling boards to the brickwork.
2. Your water service appears to be entering in a galvanised pipe ( maybe i'm wrong ), perhaps sort/replace the water service while the work is open?
3. You appear to have two stop-taps on the water service, or is one a check valve? Any redundant valve - remove it now.

1. Are there any damp issues?
No, no damp issues it's a cavity wall with lots of breathers in it

2. Trouble with boarding out, altho it would well do the job, it can create quite a bit of detailing and re-fixing, and, for DIY'ers, it can cause further conundrums regarding fixing units etc.

I'd rather plaster if I can. I'm ideally going to brick that window up and will have high level kitchen units running along it so strength is key. By the time I've put the kitchen in there will be very little plaster in display anyway

3. Good on you mate for having a go, thats a great attitude, if you dont mind me saying so. Whichever option you choose, research on these forums and come back for helpful advice if you get stuck.

Thankyou I've had a good look through but the are so many diffrent ways of doing it, that's the confusing part

AAMOI: 1. if you plaster the wall, then before doing the wall, hack in at the wall -ceiling line for snugging your ceiling boards to the brickwork.
2. Your water service appears to be entering in a galvanised pipe ( maybe i'm wrong ), perhaps sort/replace the water service while the work is open?

I'm pretty sure there copper but will double check, thankyou
3. You appear to have two stop-taps on the water service, or is one a check valve? Any redundant valve - remove it now.
will get that seen to as well.

Thankyou for your positive reply

Charlie

I think I'm going to render it first as its a little wavy! Would this be the best way to build up a nice surface to plaster on, it's backing onto an outside wall do I need to use some waterproofing? It's a cavity wall if that makes any diffrence?

Charlie[/url]

1. First, sort out the window.
2. Next, board the ceiling and understairs.
3. First fix elec. and figure out new pipe runs - recess elec. according to Regs, but dont yet run any pipe or clips, do that after skimming.
4. Knock off any small, isolated patches of old plaster, dont try to work to them. Dont waterproof anything.
5. Mix 4-1 S-C, or 4-1-1 S-C-L, and apply a tight scratch coat over a wetted wall. Leave a 1-2" gap at the floor.
6. While the scratch is wet, float up to level with the old plaster surface - stay low rather than possibly coming high. Use a 5 or 6ft straight edge - anything that's straight. Then rub up.
7. Finish with board finish after the render dries. Perhaps paint the whole new and old work with a diluted PVA and then skim while tacky. Skim the old and the new.

As your not a plasterer, you wont get the render flat.

I would just batten out the wall, any one can screw a piece of wood to the wall. Then you can insulate, hide the pipes and electrics, then just screw plasterboard to it. Then skim the lot. That will be much easier for you.

And if you plan to hang units etc, then fit sheets of 1" ply to the battens before the plasterboard, then you could hang the world off the wall, just need to screw it straight in.

He won't listen, mate. Someone is telling him can do it - and he believes them.
Wait for the post in DIY disasters.

I'd just like to give it a go as I've already said. If I make that much of a hash up I'll go to plan b.

After all this is a DIY forum is it not...remind me what that stands for again ;)

Charlie

I'd just like to give it a go as I've already said. If I make that much of a hash up I'll go to plan b.

After all this is a DIY forum is it not...remind me what that stands for again ;)

Charlie
This is true it is a DIY forum but there are times when we think that some jobs may be too much for novices to take on , so then we advise not to DIY, but to get some one in. You dont have to give the job to someone else you could always get someone who knows how to do the job and ask him if you could labour for him and let him show you how to do certain aspects of the job and this would be the best a way to learn how to DIY.... ;)

If you want to render it go for it, but you wont get it flat, and it will look bad.

Why not batten and plasterboard? then you can make the room warm, and you will get to plaster it, at least if you do it wrong it will be easy for a plasterer to skim over your skim, rather than re render and re skim, honestly itll cost you a lot more in the end. Only trying to help you mate.

Well I've got a couple of fire places to get right first and if I end up in a sticky mess I'll go to plan b.
Regarding render could I run some Batten and section the wall off say 2m between battens, making sure the battens are level and use that to work to?

I know it's hard and I know its not easy getting it level, but no ones going to die if I get it wrong. I'm not sending a man into space I'm putting some muck on a wall

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back