Getting this wall to a good standard

Well I've got a couple of fire places to get right first and if I end up in a sticky mess I go to plan b.
Regarding render could I run some Batten and section the wall off say 2m between battens, making sure the battens are level and use that to work to?

I know it's hard and I know its not easy getting it level, but no ones going to die if I get it wrong. I'm not sending a man into space I'm putting some muck on a wall

;)
i agree with you oggers this is a diy forum if you want to give it a go go for it, i would put the render beads up around the window making sure they are straight and level with the existing render and i would rule off of the beads i would also rule off of the existing render until everything is nice and flush i would board the ceiling first though

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a plan.
That window will be bricked up soonish and yes after the sparky has been I'll get the plasterboards up and go from there.

Charlie

Yes "the boss" says we are going to have the cooker there a 6 burner sort of size. But don't worry we will be putting in a south facing window so will give us lots of light.

She will probably change her mind again anyway so nothing's set in stone..

Sponsored Links
come on now oggers you could have said your are loosing the window, in that case 4get about beading up, if its bricked up just float it in ruling off the old render if you want to make it easier foryourself you could run a screed up the wall and fill in

Welcome to my world things chage like the wind..I didn't know I was loosing the window until last night!

Charlie

Looks like you have an early 1900s construction with lime plaster? Makes all the difference when thinking out the materials you need to use.

Give it a go. I have not done much plastering before but have taken a chimney out in the kitchen and I am in the process of bonding the wall and seeing how I get on. I am going to be putting a tall cupboard in front of it so if nothing else the bonding should strengthen the wall.

I am actually enjoying it and learning from each time I do a bit, getting hints from here and watching techniques on youtube. I am never going to make a profession of plastering so there is no need for the pros to get worried but everyone has to start somewhere and if I can prep other walls prior to final skim I am sure I can save some money.

As Steve said, put some pieces of timber up the wall and use them to run your feather edge up to get the render flat between, then remove and fill in the gaps. (Make sure the wood is straight and vertical). Then you'll have a flat base to skim onto.

I've just skimmed the downstairs of my house which had been rendered by the damp-proofer, and he did not leave the walls anything close to flat, so much as i've tried to make up for the lumps and hollows underneath, i still have slightly wavy walls :(

You won't know until you've tried, and i couldn't plaster before i gave it a go. By the time i got to the front room i was doing so well that when a builder friend popped by he asked who I'd got in to do the plastering, and was gobsmacked when i told him i'd done it :D

Make sure you get all your electrics and water sorted before you get to rendering/plastering. And good luck! :)

hi mate diffinetly give it a go if you havent already, i had never plastered anything in my life until a couple of monthhs ago when i re boarded and skimmed a wall that wasnt straight. I got it almost perfect and really enjoyed doing it tbh. Check this guy out his video is really helpfull and he explains everything really well. http://www.diyplastering.co.uk/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back