Getting to Bath Taps & Waste Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been asked to replace the taps on a friends bath, the only problem is that they are centrally mounted on the wall side of the bath. Has anyone faced this before and how did you get round it, the only way I can think of is to take the bath out....!?

They also wanted me to replace the sink taps and put a new pop up plug in......shouldn't be a problem..! Only I couldn't get the old plug waste out. There is no nut underneath the basin, it looks as though the whole assembly screws into itself but I couldn't get it to budge. Anyone seen this before, how do I undo it?

Many thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I have been asked to replace the taps on a friends bath, the only problem is that they are centrally mounted on the wall side of the bath. Has anyone faced this before and how did you get round it,

Yes. I had to cut a hole through the wall from the other side. Worked out cheaper than removing the tiled in Bath. Have also known people to knock out bricks if it is on an external wall!

Thanks, that's a relief....for me anyway! I'm just finishing my level 2 C&G plumbing and they were kind enough to ask me round for my first job - only I couldn't do it!! It is an external wall yes, 1st floor too so I don't fancy getting up a ladder knocking bricks out of their house. Guess it will have to be bath out, only issue is that it's fully tiled in.

Am still stuck on the basin waste too, googled it and people have mentioned removing the whole basin and taking an angle grinder to it!!

Thanks again,

Mike

How does the bath sit? Is it paneled in etc? Some baths are put in on free standing legs and the taps are on flexible pipes allowing the bath to move once the waste is disconnected and the seal cut?
They would have to have had access to fit and connect the taps in the first place, if you see what I mean, before it was moved into position. Is it walled on 3 sides?

Picture of the underside of the basin would help. It may be a case of loosening off the trap and then the underside of the waste may screw off whilst holding the basin side. Or does the waste have a centre screw inside the basin?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, here's some pictures, I couldn't see any screws inside the waste, did have a look, sorry don't have a picture that but here's the underside. Bath is panelled on three sides, there is a small access panel on the side but there is no way I can get under and up to the taps.

Many thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 168
Sorry the picture of the waste is obviously still with the trap on, but even with it off I could not see any nut or screw to free the plug waste!?!?

The lower plug waste is actually the nut too - its a case of juggling it a bit so that its both tight and the pop up bit aligns.
As for that bath - a job like that will put you off for life, but best of luck!
John :)

Wind the slotted waste out anti-clock wise, I use an old chisel, as for swapping the bath taps, take the bath panels off, take the old tap off, and get someone to hold the new tap in place whilst your tightening the backnuts up,

Thanks, that's a relief....for me anyway! I'm just finishing my level 2 C&G plumbing and they were kind enough to ask me round for my first job - only I couldn't do it!! It is an external wall yes, 1st floor too so I don't fancy getting up a ladder knocking bricks out of their house. Guess it will have to be bath out, only issue is that it's fully tiled in.

Mike
Just walk away M8 - it's not worth the disruption to the house to try and take the tiling off to get @ the bath- nothing ever goes back in the same way - In your career you are best avoiding bathroom refurbs unless you know a good tiler. Get yourself Gas Safe and learn about modern boilers and electronics, then you can access the Combustion Chamber here- something I didn't get ( Gas) All the Best, Nige.

Thanks all, it's all experience at the moment so don't want to be too picky and I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure it out (at the moment anyway!!!) but agree, my ultimate aim is to get my gas, that and my level 3 are next on my priority list.

Will go back and have another crack at the waste, I did try budging it with a large flat head but it started to bend and tear the inside of the plug, didn't want to be unable to do it and leave them with a mangled mess. Is there such a tool that would fit down into the waste like a key in order to get some leverage? The other alternative is they get like for like taps so I don't have to touch the waste.

Thanks for all the help.

Wastes like these are often fitted with the basin on the bench, so to speak.....you may be able to hold the rose inside the basin with the legs of some thin pliers (maybe even the points) but you unscrew the underside, not the rose.
I don't suppose its possible just to get inserts for the bath taps - unless they want a change of style, of course?
Jobs like this you don't need - at any stage in your career :eek:
John :)

Thanks for all the help all. I'm considering doing a tiling course too to try and pay the bills whilst I build my gas portfolio, so may attempt the bath if and when I complete!!

Cheers

Mike

If you want to persevere, then the trick with this job is, talk to the customer, let them know exactly what is going to be involved if the tap is to be replaced and that it is going to be pretty major, panels off, poss bath move and reseal. Looks like the front panel comes off the bath so may be able to see how it is piped. Look at and offer any alternatives, servicing the taps etc.. Apply your level 2 knowledge and adapt it to the occasion.
It is going to be a suck it and see job and maybe a bit much for your 1st one but if you are confident and again, if the customer knows and decides to go ahead then fair enough.

Hi Madrab - sound advice thanks. I've let them know, they're considering it all and will let me know. I think I'll persevere, I'm confident I can do it, I may not be very quick but it's experience if anything, good or bad. I still work full time so am looking to do these sorts of jobs at the weekend until I leave work and can get out as a full time apprentice.

Cheers

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back