Getting wooden floor smooth/flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I removed ceramic tiles from my kitchen floor which were laid by the previous resident. These tiles were a killer to get up and have left lumps and bumps all over the place...I have scraped and bashed and tried to get every lump up but the floor is awful. I have wood tongue and groove type floor and want to be able to get a decent surface to be able to lay either laminate or vinyl down.

Anyone know how best to do this, I am not sure that as a very amateur DIYer I am capable of taking up and replacing the base floor so was thinking possibly something like boarding over with ply? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the tiles were just stuck down to an old t&g floor, just punch the nails down and hire a sander.

Thanks for the reply Tony. There are some proper sharp bits of the ceramic there still...not like the tile but bits of the underneath that have broken off and refuse to come up... Will the sander cope with this/get rid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back