GIBRALTAR

I

ImayKnow

Should we just let the Spanish have it?

Like the Falklands, how can we claim it is legally British?

We are once again in dispute with the Spanish over it, what the hell, if you claim to be a British citizen living on the Rock then accept you are 1000 miles away from mainland UK and costing us taxpayers a fortune for your life in the sun - tut!

Sponsored Links
no that would be apeasment which is wrong, falklands are british. They never have belong to argintina, they have belong to spain but never argintina. The falklands don`t really cost anything, yes the is military presence their, but we have to pay for that where ever they are. Plus it is good for excises for them, also we have found oil out their.
In Gibralter case, spain is being hypocritical as they have coloney in morocco which they will not give back. As the people in those city consider them selfs spanish

Sell them back, Falklands and Gibraltar. Colonialism is long gone.

What would be the attitude of the British if the Spanish had colonised the Isle of Wight 300 years ago? Seems to me no different from Gibraltar in reverse. Having said that, Gibraltar is a far nicer place that anywhere in Spain.
Whilst we are on about it, surely the Channel Islands should be French by the same geographic reasoning.

The answer to Imayknow's question of how can we claim Gibraltar to be British is simple really, The Spanish Gave us it.
Asking for your presents back is just not British is it?

Sponsored Links
where you are in the world is not reason why some should own something, it is the people who live their should have the final say.
In Falkands and Gibraltar the people voted to remain british end their off

Fair point adlplumbimg, but the fact that the residents of Gibraltar and the Falklands vote for British rule is not really surprising as we, the British, put their ancestors there in the first place.
My point is that Gibraltar is British because the Spanish gave us it, we did not colonise it by force, as I understand it. Similar to the Falklands, my understanding was that nobody lived there or wanted to, so the British did not colonise by force. The Argentinians want it because of its strategic position and more importantly, there is probably Oil there.
Gibraltar and the Falklands are British by international Law. The Spanish cannot give something to Britain Under the treaty of Utrecht , than just claim it back because they want to. Similarly the Argentinians can't just want the Falklands because of it's geographic location. I think the UN have a different view on the Falklands but that may be a political stance as all of the UN policies are.
The Channel Island are different, I believe the British took them by force in the Napoleonic Wars, so maybe there are more reasonable grounds for the French to want them back. It just surprises me the 'Frogs' don't make a bigger thing about it.

Should we just let the Spanish have it?

Like the Falklands, how can we claim it is legally British?

Of course you're right.

Why not give Northern Ireland to Eire, along with Wales for good measure? We could give Scotland to Norway for that matter. In fact, why not give the whole of the country to Germany and the EU? They could use these islands for dumping all their undesirables and make us pay for it, too.

Oh! They already do, don't they? :rolleyes:

IMK, by the same token, perhaps we should forget all about the British Commonwealth too? Or, we can do exactly what Spain is doing at the moment and ignore EU dictats. I've noticed that those countries in the EU want the UK to remain in the EU. These same countries always insist that we obey the EU laws they impose on us, but then ignore these same laws when it suits them. I know it's nothing to do with the original post, but,,, It's time we ditched the EU and went it alone.
Anyway, Spain still has conclaves in North Africa,, Do you think Spain will give up these ? Nah,,, not a bloody chance.

Britain was the fore runner for Hitler. She invaded foreign territories and took them over forming and increasing the British Empire. Do we really have a claim to many of these off shore territories just because we invaded many of them?

Britain was the fore runner for Hitler. She invaded foreign territories and took them over forming and increasing the British Empire. Do we really have a claim to many of these off shore territories just because we invaded many of them?

We didn't invade Gibraltar or The Falklands. Spain gave us Gibraltar in The Treaty of Utrecht and the Falklands was uninhabited when we inhabited it. SO lets not run away with the false impression of Britain's imperialistic past in these cases. Africa is another issue all to gather.
Spain's invasion of foreign lands is just as bad as Britain's, but, once again, Gibraltar was given to Britain by Spain so is legally ours.[/u][/b]

I see that Spanish fishermen have protested off the coast of Gibraltar this morning. Spain claiming that they have the rights to fish there. Perhaps time for the government to step in and ban all Spanish fishing vessels from all areas around the UK then. But no, the EU would step in claiming they have the right to fish our waters too. Where's this all going to end? Hopefully with the complete breakup of the EU. Let Spain go back to their (almost) third world economy, with no help from the rest of Europe. Specially as they're going to need bailing out bloody soon.

Well soon as we out of the eu the better, but best thing we could do is tell everyone to boycott spain as holiday resort and goto Portugal or Gibraltar instead. That way they may give as start causing their country harm.

We'll never leave the Eu. Don't even waste time thinking about it. The reason the Spanish fish in the UK is that the UK fisherman sold their licenses to the Spaniards for big bucks. Oh and it's the UK that will need the bailout.

Sponsored Links
Back