give me your opinion on a bad job? (flag paving)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had my back yard flagged by a builder.
asked him to level back yard and then flag.
i don't think its a good job and several of the flags move slightly underfoot.
i don't think it's level and flags appear uneven.
he feels that there's nothing wrong with it.
i'm no expert.
can anyone offer any words of wisdom?
have put the images in my album for you to view.

Sponsored Links
Not good, particularly if some are moving.

We solid bed ours on sharp sand mortar complete with solid mortar joints and none of this brushed in rubbish.

There are far too many diy programmes on tele giving poor advice.

Laying on dry sand is total wazz.

That type of slab is the easiest to lay to a flush finished surface.

There appear to be some dipping, but is that within tolerance? It's hard to say.

If you paid top money for the job then I would expect better. If it was a cheap job it may be OK

Its not OK to have any slabs moving or loose though, and the work around the gully is poor, as is the edge concrete fillet

Also, these slabs should really be laid tight against each other with no joint - unless you asked for something different

The loose/dipping slabs will be a right pain to level out now, and the builder wont be happy to do this. But movement will get worse and where water ponds, the ground will get wet and the slabs will continue to dip even more in a very short time

Really it is down to how much was paid for the work though

Sponsored Links
I thought the one good thing was he hasnt laid them flat. He has dished the area and put a run away from the building. As there is no gully he has put the run off out the gate.
Shouldnt have loose slabs though.

Bit shoddy! Think your gonna have some pooling to the left of the gate.
Brushing in jointing sand is for blocks not slabs. There should be no rockers.
Tell him you will pay him when they are all firm. Not alot you can do now about the joints. :confused:

It dose not look good.
I am agree to woody

If you got this job done in a cheap prise then it is fine, or if you paid a sufficient money for this work it should be much batter.

First of all you got it flagged by a builder ? builders think they can do everything!! ...wrong ... there average at many things but never a master .
You should have got a paviour of professional hard landscaper .
The job youve had done is very poor ,it should be laid on sand cement screed and have at least 5/8 mm joint which are pointed with cement to prevent and water getting through the flaggs and sinking.
It also helps the water run off ,you have many LIPS on them flags as i can see , so there very uneven.
Materials can cost a fortune these days ...how big is the area?
These are cheap flags probs about 250- 3 pound per flag to buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back