Give your opinion on this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm knocking the wall between the kitchen and dining room out to make for the one larger room. However, that's not really the issue. I've had the idea of part exposing the joists in the ceiling by removing the old boards (which has to happen anyway, thanks to the dreaded artex and general condition)

And what I intend to do is plasterboard in between the joists onto battens set at roughly 2-3 inches up the joist (stay with me) When it's all done I'll paint the whole thing white, (matt of course) joists and all.

Question: Do you think it will look ok? Tell me.....

Question: Does anyone forsee any major problems that I have overlooked?

Ok go ahead, I can take it....... ;)

Sponsored Links
It should look ok,but the exposed joists will be rough timber not nice smooth stuff.Also i have seen the joists painted matt black,with the ceiling painted white,that looked good.
The only problems i forsee is the wirring and pipe work which will be above the ceiling,may need altering.

Hi,
I agree with Ogoshi that you may have some work to do with existing wiring and pipework.
You can get around this by just exposing 10-20mm of joists and then putting in your ceiling.
One problem may be that, although the joists are not planed, they will still look a little bit "uniform" and I think you may be after a "cottage" look.
i.e. they will look factory finished and not hand-made.
Good luck, though.

Sponsored Links
You could of course just replace the plasterboard and fit whatever size timber you decide directly under the existing joists.providing you mark their position. this way you can use planed timber,which can have small carvings if needed.
I would think exposed beams even if artificial look better 'black' or dark 'brown' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back