Glass extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay ill try and describe it, we need to extend the depth of our kitchen at the back (lshaped bungalow with lounge extended perpendicular to kitchen. In order to make the kitchen wider we wanted to extend beyond the existing external wall(say a meter or so) But we'd like to use glass from floor upwards in a, i guess contemporary style.
Any ideas on how we would go about this, where we could source the glass from etc. In lieu of asking an architect, i wondered if anyone had any opinions on here.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
pilkington will gladly supply you with the glass, but its how and what you fix the glass into, thats the problem. this is where an architect would come in handy. also if the "glass build" is to be an extension then the "u" values need to be calculated to see if the glass per floor area is allowed.

Sponsored Links
I think you might find the new Part L regs are gona make your idea a bit more difficult than before......req higher u-values etc

Had a quick look at the new regs, im sorta guessing by the looks it's like theyre trying to make house more energy efficient?

Anyway, i've posted some pics here a proposed plan and how i expect it to look after the work is done.
Welcome any comments, i have a few more questions. How much will it cost approx to fit a supporting RSJ across where the external wall is removed. How do you swap between acro props and rsj without roof falling down?! :eek:

Foundations, as the load should be dissipated across the RSJ will we not need foundations, or i guess it's prudent still to dig some incase of soft ground. As the new extension only extrudes 1metre or so does this fall under permitted development?

Plan of house with extension

Finished project

Ok lets see, youll probably need to provide more of the existing external wall on the left hand side of your plan to give the beam some form of pier support. Existing foundations should be checked to ensure they are adequate to accomodate the additional loading.
You will still need a foundation for the extension wall as you will have loading coming from the roof, glazing piers and the floor.

Acro props for existing structure should be inplace above the opening so the beam can be placed after and then infilled upto acros/needles.

As Static says the wall on the inside of the L shape will likely need to extend a bit further to give the beam more bearing, depending what the wall is made from you may have to construct a pier in engineering bricks or have a steel upright that takes the load down to the foundations and maybe a new pad foundation.

Your new uprights will also need either pad foundations with a ring beam or a strip foundation for a few courses of brick to bring you upto DPC level, the floor will have to be well insulated to compensate for the heat loss through the glass.

As there is really no wall going to be left above the opening the props can be placed about 600mm inside the room with scaffold boards to spread the load and pick up the ceiling joists, the wall is then taken out and the new beam put into place with a timber plate bolted to it and the ceiling joists fixed to this.

You may not need planing permission but will definatly require Building Regs approval, they will want to see structural calcs for the steel & support so you will have to get a structural engineer to do the calcs etc.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back