Glass Floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Silly idea I know..... For a Diurmund Gavin style garden project I require some toughened, scratch resistent glass which people can walk over.

Any ideas where I can source this type of material? In the meantime I shall continue to trawal the net in hope!

Sponsored Links
Curious.... I don't know about this type of Diurmund Gavin garden project... but I do something about galss... How will you lay this material?

No taste? Pah! What did you do... put some decking in or perhaps a Gazebo? Onwards.... Our garden slopes (drastically) into one corner, rather than levelling it with god awful decking (and thus being able to look directly in neighbours' gardens) I've sunk that area and used retaining walls and all that.

Anyway I was going to create a 'bowl' in the lowered patio with some lights in and cover this with the glass but I've since trashed that idea. I have now used (within the retaining wall) columns of, coloured, glass bricks with lights behind them.

Sponsored Links
touchy eh?
i,ve got no gazebo,no decking.just plain good taste.
this guy is the worst and most annoying garden celebrity on t.v! anyone agree /disagree with me?

Not touchy, sarcy maybe. Diurmund's okay - different ideas and a wide-angled train of thought. Taste is a very individual thing - the planet would be hellishly boring if everyone thought cottage garden style plots were the height of good taste. Garden programs are generally quite dull - there's only so many ways to arrange a Delphinium in amongst your Lupins.... Diurmund's shows highlight the fact that different looks can work - why try and hide a yucky aluminium greenhouse when you can create a greenhouse out of other materials and make it more of a feature.

agree about the boring planet.
although i wouldn,t want one of his designs in my garden they are if nothing else interesting to look at and aspects of them are good .it,s just the praticalities that get me.i,d get bored and want to dig it up in five years becauce lets face it his designs are a fashion that will look outdated sometime in the future.
hope yours turns out great but don,t email me in 5 years time asking to bring a sledgehammer around.good luck.

It would be interesting tv to return to some of these gardens in 5 years time to see what they look like - if they still exist or if the people have had to move away to escape to normality.

how could you move away.you,re unlikly to sell your house .i,d love to see the house viewers faces when they get to the back garden.

Toughened glass is available - though scratch resistance is impossible, try a sandblasted finish - through third party glazing companies. Go direct to Pilkington glass for a complete design package, though be warned it would be very expensive and heavy. For your purposes the minimum thickness would be 19mm + 10mm clear float toughened then laminated together to give 29mm overall. Additionally the glass would need to be four edge supported using steel beams and each pane would have to be 1000mm x 1000mm max to obtain a test certificate, this would give a weight of 72.5Kg per pane.

PS i don't work for Pilkington, you could try Solaglas, European Toughened or many others.

Hi Jay,
Did you find source for your glass floor?
If so, please help me , I am trying to put
4 ft x 3 ft x 1 1/2" glass floor but I have NO source for this glass floor, If you have name or phone # of supplier,please let me know.Thanks
Joe Kawahara
[email protected]

Hi Joe... Gave up on the glass floor in the end and used blus glass bricks embedded in the wall with lighting behind them. Sorry not much help to you really!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back