Damp Forming To Shower Rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

Firstly I work in Architecture so have quite a broad knowledge of construction, but I have a major issue in the new property I have moved into.

I have a walk in shower room where two of the walls are toughened glass fixed back to moisture resistant plasterboard (d&d), the floor is fully tiled with a mastic seal between the tile and glass.There is now a major issue with damp forming behind the toughened glass and although changing the mastic (type) and glazing three times the problem is still arising.

Does anyone have any answers to why this keeps reoccuring or have any experience with these materials or different seals that can be used?

Thankyou in advance for your comments.

P.S. The walls are internal studwork and do not form part of any external cavity walls.

Sponsored Links
How is the glass fitted to the stud walls mate, also what sizes are the panels.,I would tend to think that somehow, other than between your floor and walls condensation is entering.Check out the sealing around the edges of the glass panels. Either that or the gap between floor and panels is NOT SEALED correctly

If silicone is good enough for fish tanks it should be good enough for a bit of splashed water. BTW, why did you use plasterboard instead of Aquapanel?

Were the Walls tanked?

I truly believe that moisture resistant board is a waste of time in a wet area. Tanking of the Walls as well as the floor is often not done in wet rooms, a lot of people only go 4" up from the floor, no good.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the rubber seal that the glass(should) be sitting in,has be ripped/punctured thus dampness.
or has the grout cracked on the floor area?

i take it, this is a cotswald glass unit(frosted glass)...and not a clear unit(cos you would see the d/d..) :?:

when you fixed proir.. did you replace the rubber seal(gasket) the glass sits in,as this would have be damaged when removing the mastic seal, obviousley this would have been with a stanley blade or sorts.

Are there any exposed sections of plasterboard, ? moisture will simply migrate from that under the seal, as 'moisture resistant' is just that, not waterproof.
I'd shoot the architect of that mess. ;)

Were the Walls tanked?

I truly believe that moisture resistant board is a waste of time in a wet area. Tanking of the Walls as well as the floor is often not done in wet rooms, a lot of people only go 4" up from the floor, no good.

moisture resistant plasterboard in a wet area is fine imo..have fitted it for many..many years some tanked some not...not had a problem or call back.

so guess it depends on the the tile fixer and his/her methods of fixing?

granted there are better products out there,but it all comes back, to what you can advise the client and at the end off the day their..budget.

I wouldn't be able to start tiling a shower or bath without some sort of tanking, if the silicone joint ever goes or water gets beyond the grout on a plasterboarded wall, you are fooked.

Might possibly be alright in a lot of cases but not worth the risk, belt and braces approach for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back