Damp Forming To Shower Rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

Firstly I work in Architecture so have quite a broad knowledge of construction, but I have a major issue in the new property I have moved into.

I have a walk in shower room where two of the walls are toughened glass fixed back to moisture resistant plasterboard (d&d), the floor is fully tiled with a mastic seal between the tile and glass.There is now a major issue with damp forming behind the toughened glass and although changing the mastic (type) and glazing three times the problem is still arising.

Does anyone have any answers to why this keeps reoccuring or have any experience with these materials or different seals that can be used?

Thankyou in advance for your comments.

P.S. The walls are internal studwork and do not form part of any external cavity walls.

Sponsored Links
Firstly I am surprised that for a new-build, engineered ( presumably) design that the seal is mastic. I am no expert on this but would have thought that when specifying the glass, a moulded rubber-seal would have been part of the package.

Who specified this ?

You mention the mastic seal on the floor. Is it the same where the glass meets the ceiling and also along the front edges of the glass ?

Having difficulty imagining the glass/pb set-up. Is this obscure glass so that the dot and dab is not visible ? If it is, how are you seeing the condensation ?

When I was recently checking out some things to do with showers, I had a check with a dew-point calculator and to my great surprise it showed that in a steamy shower-room ( 98% RH) @ 22 C, the dew-point (condensation occurs) is only at 21 C.

If that is correct - and I am just assuming it is - then unless you can engineer a air-tight seal, this problem is not going away.

Firstly I am surprised that for a new-build, engineered ( presumably) design that the seal is mastic. I am no expert on this but would have thought that when specifying the glass, a moulded rubber-seal would have been part of the package.

Who specified this ?

You mention the mastic seal on the floor. Is it the same where the glass meets the ceiling and also along the front edges of the glass ?

Having difficulty imagining the glass/pb set-up. Is this obscure glass so that the dot and dab is not visible ? If it is, how are you seeing the condensation ?

When I was recently checking out some things to do with showers, I had a check with a dew-point calculator and to my great surprise it showed
that in a steamy shower-room ( 98% RH) @ 22 C, the dew-point (condensation occurs) is only at 21 C.

If that is correct - and I am just assuming it is - then unless you can engineer a air-tight seal, this problem is not going away.

Thanks for the reply, its a bit difficuilt to explain thoroughly, I think I shall take some pictures tonight and post for a better idea.

Thanks again

I have a walk in shower room where two of the walls are toughened glass fixed back to moisture resistant plasterboard (d&d), the floor is fully tiled with a mastic seal between the tile and glass.There is now a major issue with damp forming behind the toughened glass and although changing the mastic (type) and glazing three times the problem is still arising.
I don't really understand the set-up here tbh but I can envisage there will always being problems when glass is fixed to a wall in a bathroom. Its a design No-No in my opinion. Better off stripping the glass and then tiling.

Sponsored Links
As Freddy has stated, there are many ways in which moisture will find its way to the back of the glass.

Sealing the abutments may be futile.

All this will be compounded by the fact that, not only are you talking about a room with high levels of humidity, but are also using materials (glass) that provoke condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back