Glass for 1930's Door

C

cmother1

Does anyone know where I can get glass like that shown in the photo?
It's a 15 pane door probably all original 30's. I've scoured the skips in our road, but never found anything to match. The glass has the same pattern as Pilkington's "Arctic", but slightly smaller. The colour is a rich amber that the photo doesn't do justice to. I only need 3 panes.
Any leads gratefully received.
I live where my profile says.

Sponsored Links
Can you take another photo from the other side but not in an angle, I think it might be Arctic (?), I've got some in clear glass but not in amber :cry:

I'm always collecting old glass from anywhere as they are not available anymore

Thanks to you both for responding. Here's a close-up of the lumpy side of the glass It's the best I can manage with with my old camera.
The ruler down the side is in 1cm units. As said earlier, my impression is that its the same pattern as the modern equivalent, but slightly smaller (looks like a herd of woodlice!).
All advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Just spoken to my glass supplier from Pearson Glass from London and they says your glass is not available as the nearest would be English Muffle but IMO I think Arctic is the nearest, failing that keep hunting around but will be hard to get amber as well, ebay may have something

Arctic patterned glass
pilkington-arctic.jpg

Thanks to you both. The email address for Fred's link bounces, so I'll have to pursue them by phone (hopefully the recession hasn't finished them off). Looks close enough to Arctic, but like you say, the coulour is a problem.
If all else fails it's back to the skip patrol....

It might be too new, but could be worth a call to any local architectural salvage yards.

Otherwise, the local tip or replacement window companies may be pleased to get shot of some surplus doors that you could strip down for parts. Ditto any local builders you might know.

FWIW

:)

I spend a lot of time down at my local auction house. Every week there are windows and doors that go through. You are bound to find something close if you wait long enough. (the double glazers put them in)

Don't know about auctions, but as said earlier, I keep an eye out for what's in the local skips. No luck so far, even though people are always replacing the original doors - every house seems to have personalised details. The annoying thing is that my next door neighbour has a pair of the same doors, but he's holding on to his. Maybe if I wait long enough....
Thanks again to all for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back