Glass isn't flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm fitting some double glazed uPVC french doors. The frames are in but now I'm putting the 28mm units into the frames I notice they are bowed. The glass units touch the seals top and bottom but there is about a 10mm gap in the middle. Putting a long straight edge on the glass shows the bow.
I'm wondering what has caused this and what I can do about it. They were delivered in September and they've been leaning against a wall in my garage till now. Could that have caused it?
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Just had another look and the bow is about 6mm in the middle. Placing a straight edge piece of wood against the glass edge and pressing the unit in the middle, I can straighten it fairly easily. Will the beads hold it ok if I carry on and fit them? There's three panes with a side panel and all are bowed.

If I leave stuff leaning on a wall, I rotate them weekly.
I can’t swear that glass is the same as timber but I did it when using door sized glass units for a conservatory

Its toughened glass so the bow is nothing to worry about, years ago a friend of mine stood and aluminium slider out of a patio against the wall at the yards, he took a run and jumped against it the aluminium sections just bent to near on 90 degrees and the glass went with them and didn't break, funny stuff toughened glass, breathe on it wrong and it'll pop, bend it in half and its fine

Sponsored Links
As crank39 says , nothing to worry about , put the beads in and it will sit nice and straight... You'd be surprised how much Toughened glass is actually slightly bowed, we see it all the time ... 4mm ( standard thickness for windows and doors ) is the most common too

Fun fact .... If you had a long enough piec of toughened glass you could bend it right back to its beginning apparantly

The glass wasn't as bad as I first thought. I put the top and bottom beads in and the bow was only a few millimetres in the middle of the length. The long beads went in no trouble and the jobs finished now thankfully.
The bow looked huge with a straight edge on the glass but wasn't any real problem in fitting.
I don't know if leaning them against the garage wall bowed the glass, or if they were delivered like that. They were stored almost standing upright with little lean. So I wouldn't have thought that would bow them.
I think I flapped a bit starting this thread but thanks for all the replies.
The glass is 4mm ronniecabers. I expected the glass to be dead flat but obviously the toughening changes that

Last edited:
Very unlikely it happened whilst you had it ... more than likely in the toughening process , thats when it usually happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back