glass mosaic wall tilles - adhesive oozing through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having glass mosaic wall tiles put in my kitchen. Instead of having a mesh on the back, they have a sheet of brown paper on the front. The tiler has laid a few and I can see that the adhesive is oozing through the gaps between the little squares. How can the grout be put on adequately? The tiler says it has to set before he takes off the paper and by that time the adhesive has set. I want the white grout to look even.

Can anyone suggest how we can make sure the grout will cover?

I am an elderly lady, so excuse any ignorance I show!

Sponsored Links
Your tiler should be using quite a fine notched trowel - 3mm or 4.5mm square notch. This should minimise the amount of adhesive that will squeeze up between the tiles.
The adhesive can be scraped away afterwards because it'll not be too hard but if you do the job right in the first place you shouldn't need to.

He is using a 4mm notched trowel but, with the brown paper on the face surface, he has to wait until it is set before he can see whether it has oozed through, and by then it has set hard!

You will get adhesive squeezing between the tiles - you can't avoid that, but as long as you can get a reasonable amount of grout in there then it'll be fine. If there's no room for grout then he's pushing the tiles onto the wall too hard.

Sponsored Links
If he is using something like BAL Mosaic Fix (which he should for glass) then there will be little problem as its made a bright white to avoid the problem of adhesive filling the gaps.

It is possible to remove the paper once the adhesive is firm but not fully dry, it can then be scraped out with a stanley knife, again only really possible with the right adhesive.

Jason

Just poped back to let the dogs out as there is no one else home today, just finishing my second mug of tea then off out to pickup some travatine borders, then fit last few floortiles on the fllor I started thismorning.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back