glass roof system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have built Orangery- that is a conservatory with attitude. Can't decide the best way to roof it though.
Options are, either timber framed with rebates or glazing bars etc or a purpose built conservatory roof in metal and plastic or any other brilliant ideas.

It must come out at right angle to house, and can't pitch better than 25 deg, either hipped or gabled at end. Discharging into an internal gutter,cleverly designed and built between catnic and RSJ in which a man size reinforced ring beam sits. This means that a wall plate of no more than 80mm is preferable. Roof sheets would be approx 2m each side extending about 3.6 from house.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Have built Orangery- that is a conservatory with attitude. Can't decide the best way to roof it though.
Options are, either timber framed with rebates or glazing bars etc or a purpose built conservatory roof in metal and plastic Any ideas?
Forget wood :idea:

Sponsored Links
An orangery would not tend to have a glass roof. It would have a flat roof with a roof lantern

Otherwise its just a conservatory roof and the choice for that seems just between the usual types

Been thinking of it for a while Freddy, just could'nt decide on best option-hence post here-picking brains etc. Also have been fitting it in with work, golf pub etc.
Does that include oak Nige ?

Woody?! Did you read the bit about conservatory with attitude?
Any definition of the word orangery mentions that it is a place for growing oranges, so now I'm off to B&Q for an orange plant and put that argument to bed.
It is actually a conservatory with a ring beam around, which would in turn carry an inner boxing to accomodate lighting & ring cables. Then an internal gutter with a small parapet externally. A lantern roof would be nice, but it would encroach on the window above the door. Just wondered if anyone here had any suppliers of bespoke roofing in mind, I could just use the local conservatory buffs to supply the stuff, but fancied something a little better. I'll post some piccies when I get time-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back