Glass seperating from the cap of bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed an increase on this, I figured that the sockets may be worn and as they looked scruffy I put brand a few brand new cables and lamp holders on some of the worse pedants.

Now one of the brand new ones (just 3 months old) has done the same, the base got stuck in the socket and I had to use plyers to get it out.

The ones which have done it are all 60w or 100w bulbs, I am guessing it is a faulty batch/cheap crap. This was 100w and it was an Everyready, not sure what brand the others were.

Anybody else noticed this?

Fitted GE halagon bulb in its place. It is on a dimmer, so could the low voltage some how be causing an issue (I can't see how).

I've just put it down to cheap bulbs but just wondered how common it is. I know a lot of people would not have been able to fix this very simple problem.

Sponsored Links
Yep, with some batches of lamps the bases are just not cemented to the glass envelope as well as others. You used to find the same thing with MES dial lamps and similar in radio equipment sometimes.

Not at all uncommon for the glass enveliope to come away from the base after it's been temperature cycled a few times. I have a job lot of 40W golfball bulbs which I laid in to suit several of our units and they do it all the time. I've had several blow themselves out of the bulbholder when they blew which alarms my wife a bit :) .

I purchased a box of 6 60w candle lamps from 'a well known supermarket' and one night the first bulb exploded! - I mean EXPLODED! glass flew from the wall light fitting, even found some in my cup some 8ft away!

After spending ages trying to get the cap out I noticed the sealant (or whatever it is) that surrounds the filament in the cap was very unevenly distributed in the base of the cap.

On checking the remaining bulbs this sealant was partially missing in all of them and in one bulb the glass globe was slightly loose. I don't know if that was the cause, or a contributing factor of the explosion but I thought to myself 'I asda take these bulbs back' [sorry about that!].

In my 6 decades of life I have never experienced a bulb explode - ever! Then would you believe just three weeks later a standard 60w bulb in the bathroom exploded! Don't worry I'd become an expert at hoovering and getting the cap out with a cork by now!

I'm starting to wonder if this is something to do with the government trying to force us into using these horrid, carcinogenic, flickery, dim, awful bulbs that, in the path of progress, are fifty steps backward!

Sponsored Links
No, it's just that they are all manufactured in the far east to very poor standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back