Glass shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
S5030008.jpg

Just completed a coffee table for the good lady, now she decides she would like a glass shelf about one third up from floor. :evil:
No problem with type glass etc, just looking for ideas, brackets etc to support glass shelf.
Thinking of getting glass cut round legs so it will just need to rest on brackets as it will not be able to move sideways.

Sponsored Links
in my humble opinion a glass shelve just plonked on wont look right on such a well made table :cry: :cry:

can you not introduce a chunky frame with a recess for the glass and pocket screwed from underneath :cry:

A full size glass shelf will eat into 'footroom' and the unsuspecting coffee drinker might not notice it at first and whack their shin on it.

How abouts a full length but half width shelf that hangs in the centre, via some sort of 'pair of smart looking steel supports' that each span between each pair of legs? (Shortest distance)

Or make up wooden supports to match the table.

Will be cheaper, using half the glass and no fancy cutouts ;)

(To do as you describe would need it cut and then tempered, you wouldn't think to use untempered glass in such an area would you :eek: )

in my humble opinion a glass shelve just plonked on wont look right on such a well made table :cry: :cry:

can you not introduce a chunky frame with a recess for the glass and pocket screwed from underneath :cry:

Good point big-all, I was trying to avoid introducing more timber as I felt it would somehow detract from the current simple effect but it is worth considering.
Thanks for your imput.

Delux wrote:

A full size glass shelf will eat into 'footroom' and the unsuspecting coffee drinker might not notice it at first and whack their shin on it.

How abouts a full length but half width shelf that hangs in the centre, via some sort of 'pair of smart looking steel supports' that each span between each pair of legs? (Shortest distance)

Or make up wooden supports to match the table.

Will be cheaper, using half the glass and no fancy cutouts

(To do as you describe would need it cut and then tempered, you wouldn't think to use untempered glass in such an area would you )

Thanks for your imput to Delux, I must confess I had not taken the 'footroom' aspect into account and the hanging shelf is worth considering.
For the record the glass would be tempered and ground on the edges.
I have been quoted £65 for the glass which is approx 80cm x 50cm, seems a bit much to me, can anybody confirm that this is about right?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't suprise me, the glazier has to make his profit, as do the manufacturing plant that do the tempering. Try a factory that actually has the machinery to heat/cool the glass, and you'll probably find an employee that'll knock one out in his lunch break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back