Glass wind break (ontop of picket fence)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm thinking of adding some picket pales to my current picket fence to make it a little more of a solid fence/wind block.

I'm thinking of adding more posts in the ground and adding a big thick rail across the top and then attaching some glass fixing for the 1m x 1m glass panes and brackets, for 7 meters.

We live in Norfolk and it's very flat and we are properly open to the elements. Does anyone have any experience of which glass would be best and will the timber hold the rails which hold the glass ok? I'm unsure if 10mm or 12mm toughened.... not sure if I need laminated as well, obviously 10mm is cheaper which would be great but not if its just going to break.

Can anybody give me some advice before I start this project please.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You mean 1m glass panels up off the floor above a picket fence, so say 2m overall? I doubt wood would be strong enough for that and you would have to build a steel structure to hold the glass from one edge with that kind of leverage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back