Glazed roof over side return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Victorian terrace house with a narrow side return alley between the kitchen and boundary wall. The boundary wall is about 2.2m tall and only about 1.3m from my property.

I want to use the space to store stuff under cover, so I was thinking of putting a glazed roof over the top so I still get light into the rooms that look into it. As it’s only going to be an outdoor space it doesn’t need to be anything too substantial but what are your thoughts on what’s best to make it out of so it’s as clear as possible and strong enough to take the odd cat?! Frame from wood and toughened glass?

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks

Attachments

• F300006F-81C5-404E-924E-28498209E1C5.jpeg
    F300006F-81C5-404E-924E-28498209E1C5.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
back when I was a kid at school we had a carport style 'cloister" that was simply a timber construction and used wired glass as a roof.
I doubt the corrugated plastic commonly used for carports was that common (mid 60's)

My mate's carport is plastic "woodwork" with a small fall to a gutter and uses corrugated plastic.
His cat sits/walks on it with no issues
we ensured that we allowed for a ladder hatch area when we replaced the plastic.

There are cantilever structures that you can fit to the return, but where would the rain go and I don't trust them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back