How to extend my zinc roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Ive recently had a small annex built. It has a zinc roof. Theres a 800mm gap between the annex wall and the boundary. I suppose this space could be quite useful for storing patio furniture in the winter etc... It doesnt need to be weather proof, just enough to keep the worst off.

So do you think it makes sense to extend the roof to the boundary wall? Is this easy to do?

Thanks

DSC01708.JPG

DSC01707.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is it your wall, and are you allowed to fix to it?

I think it would be easiest to build a separate roof, below the level of the current one running in the same direction (assuming that will leave you enough headroom). If it was translucent it would let a bit of light in.

Bare in mind filling that gap with a roof is going to make future maintenance on the house more difficult.....

Hmmm. I think for such little space gained its not worth it - unless there was a super-easy way of contsructing a make-shift roof. And I take your point that it would make any future maintenance on the house more difficult. Cheers.

That would be dead easy to achieve. You would need another section of crinkly tin of the same profile that you've already got. You would overlap the new section with the existing by a couple of valleys, bolt a beam to the block wall and then bridge between the new extension and the beam to provide support for the new section of roof.

The guttering can be easily extended, to catch the run off. The hardest bit (and it wouldn't be that hard) would be flashing the new section of roof to the house. Depending where the ridge and valley of the new section of crinkly tin ended up falling you probably wouldn't even need to bother flashing the new section of roof to the block wall unless you want it to be fully watertight.

Sponsored Links
That would be dead easy to achieve. You would need another section of crinkly tin of the same profile that you've already got. You would overlap the new section with the existing by a couple of valleys, bolt a beam to the block wall and then bridge between the new extension and the beam to provide support for the new section of roof.

The guttering can be easily extended, to catch the run off. The hardest bit (and it wouldn't be that hard) would be flashing the new section of roof to the house. Depending where the ridge and valley of the new section of crinkly tin ended up falling you probably wouldn't even need to bother flashing the new section of roof to the block wall unless you want it to be fully watertight.

I thought it wouldnt be too hard either. I thought even simpler - just overlap the tin roof by a few valleys and not have any support - relyving on the overlapped section of the roof to take the strain. (the caveat being that I have NO IDEA what Im talking about!! I dont know anything about DIY or building so would be paying someone to do this for me.)

I think a bit of extra gutter might be a good idea. And becuase it doesnt need to be weather-proof the roof doesnt need to be flashed.

If any future maintenance work is needed and access is required it wouldnt (I presume) be that much work to take the roof section off again.

I had a builder look at it yesterday and he said it there should be a couple of jolsts bolted to the wall (which he had concerns with becuase its only single skin block) to support the roof otherwise it would flap about in the wind.

I really like the idea of having a transparent roof so theres some light there. However, whats the odds on there being some transparent material with the same profile as the zine roof thats there!? (rhetorical question)

Firstly, the new section of roof would have to have some support. It would be way to floppy to survive without it.
Secondly, if the block wall isn't strong enough to take the load of the extra bit of roof (and i think it would be as it would be laterally braced by the joists you'd also put in) then it wouldn't be a big job to put a post in at the front edge to support one end of a beam and use the house itself at the other.
Lastly, the chances of you finding a clear plastic profile the same as your zinc roof sheet are high. That type of roofing is used in industrial units all the time and roof lights are common.

Hi guys. This is a roof-related question although unrelated to my original post....

Is this zinc roof going to be strong enough to hold my weight? (12 stone/76 kgs) if I put a scaffolding plank on it to spread my weight? I dont want to dent it obviously. I have a big roll of Hessian fabric I can use too so not to scratch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back