glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would i gain any benefits (or indeed any drawbacks) from fitting a second piece of glass (ie double, or secondary glazing) to a picture window 3'6" x 2'6".
Its in a very cold area of the house and I want to try and get it warmer.

Sponsored Links
If you can do it then yes do. since it is the air gap that provides insulation in secondary glazing.

I stayed in a Hilton Hotel and they have done exactly what you have mentioned. Rather than replace the original ageing windows, they fitted an additional window 1' to the inside. I thought it might be worth a mention that these inside windows ran on a track so you could still gain access to the originals to air the room.

Secondary glazing used to be a common feature in homes. However as the last point made clear with the Hilton, the window was and needs to be free to move for maintenance and becuase if you try to permanently fix the window it is likely to generate condensation between the two panes of glass. You can still get kits for secondary glazing, if not from the local DIY shops, you should find a glass company that will suppply this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back