Gledhill Thermal Store issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,

I have a GH Solar thermal store 350.

These have a plate heat exchanger on the side for DHW.

The problem I have is that this pump is either slow coming on (meaning water wasted at the taps waiting for the hot water), Or it is running when I don't want it to.

I've got used to it slow starting (although my wife hasn't), but the other issue is bugging me, and from what I understand, it's designed to do it.

I have my boiler turned off nowadays and use solar only to heat the tank. It provides enough hot water for the 2 of us to wash & shower etc, and also for a good few hours running the UFH in the evening until it gets cold, ready for the next day. But, because the tank is <35oC in the evening and overnight, the pump runs continuously, to the point that it is too hot to touch and it smells. There is no switch I can turn it off with.

The installer said he'd heard of similar issues, and a way around it is to fit a flow switch in line instead of the temp' sensors. Turning the pump on when line pressure drop.

Does this sound like it should work, or has anyone got other ideas?? This will I guess invalidate any remaining warranty.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Sponsored Links
I am guessing the pump may run to preheat the plate unit. The instructions should indicate that. But it would usually be switched off by a temperature sensor when its hot enough. That might not be correctly registering.

A flow switch would prevent the preheat if there is one.

Another possible solution is to have a timeclock which only powers the pump when you are likely to need DHW and with a bypass switch in case you suddenly want a shower in the middle of the night!

Yet another is to power that pump via another thermal switch so it only runs when the store is above say 60 C.

Tony

Thanks Agile,

Just to confirm.... I read the manual and confirmed with Gledhill tech support, If tank is below 30oC the pump is meant to run. It's assuming the tank is hot 24/7. And, it's the pump motor that's running/smelling hot, the pipe through it is <30oC.

Would this be the typr of switch required? http://www.gentechsensors.com/content/product/fs-05

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back