Gledhill Torrent - Solar Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two coil 170 Litre gledhill torrent thermal store. the primary coil is heated by my oil boiler and the mains water runs through the secondary coil where it is heated.

The water in the cylinder is static.

Question, I am wanting to add solar, preferably without replacing the cylinder as it is not that old. I notice that with some thermal stores the boiler heats the store water directly, i.e there is no primary coil, the water which in the gledhill is static is simply circulated by the system pump through the main boiler..

Would it be feasible for me to do this with my gledhill and then use the primary coil as a heat exchanger for solar panels.?? Is there some technical reason why this wouldnt work?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
As long as the safety design aspects of the solar are not compromised then I dont see why either the store water could not be heated by the solar or the boiler primary water could not be diverted in theory.

BUT it would need to be designed by someone who had a very full understanding of how these systems work and the safety constraints.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back