Thermal stores and Solar Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents

I am about to extend my flat-roofed bungalow by adding a pitched roof and having chalet-style accommodation inside. The new roof will have a lovely southerly aspect which should be perfect for using solar panels to meet some of our heating needs.

I like the idea of mains-pressure hot water but, after extending, the house will have 5 beds and 3 bathrooms which I guess rules out a Combi. I like the idea of being able to tinker with my CH system which rules out un-vented and so have come around to the idea that what I possibly need is a thermal store.

I can see from other threads that the use of thermal stores is a topic of hot debate and ground that does not need to be re-covered but I am looking for is some specific advice on the suitability of thermal stores used in conjunction with solar panels.

I have seen that some manufacturers produce indirect thermal stores incorporating a second coil for use with an alternative heat source but I am confused how this will work.

As a family, our main ablutions are carried out at night. If at 6pm I have thermal store full of nice hot water, after the family has baths, showers, runs the washing machine etc, the store temperature will have dropped and presumably my boiler will have been called to heat the store back up to temperature. Not much hot water gets used during the morning routine, and then the store stands idle but hot all day. Since the water is fully hot, there is no space for heat from the solar panels. The logic doesn’t work.

The only way I can see around this is a timer arrangement preventing heating the water using the boiler after the evening rush, but this then there may not be enough hot water for the morning.

Am I missing something?

Your considered thoughts would be appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back