Gledhill Torrent not Filling up from Header Tank. No Water in P Flow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is an issue which is causing great confusion. I bought a house in September 2020 and installed a wood fired heating system with a Gledhill Torrent 210. The thermal store is in the original boiler cupboard and the header tank is in the attic. The people who installed it didn't replace all of the pipework for the CH so about a month ago we started notice buckling in a section of our ceiling. Lo and behold we had a leak in the CH. We tried to get hold of the original installer(s) but we never heard back and the problem was getting worse. So in the end we got another plumber to fix the leak. He drained the system and isolated the corroded pipe causing the problem in our floor. The repair was done and the system - we thought - filled back up. However, following the first fire, the readings on the stove pump were off the charts i.e. the Return was spiking which told us something wasn't right and when we checked on the thermal store, there was a lot of noise like running water. The Honeywell 2 Part Zone was also making an unusual sound as if it was not pumping or initiating so we suspected a) that the thermal store was not full and/or b) the valve on the 2 Part Zone was not working correctly. To confirm this we could get no heating or hot water.We extinguished the fire and turned the system off. We contacted the plumber and he came back out. He confirmed that there was no water in the Primary and that our suspicions were correct. He couldn't work out what was wrong as this is a vented system and the system therefore should just fill. The header tank is at the right level and the system operated correctly prior to the repair. I cannot see a filling loop and so suspect that it should just fill the thermal store, am I correct?

Anyway, I can't figure out what is wrong. Header tank - full. Valves - open. Mains water - on. Yet still no movement of water into the thermal store. Is there a specific way the system should be filled? The system is only a few months old so as far as I am concerned it should operate. Anyway we're without heating or hot water over the weekend and in the meantime, I am trying to get hold of the installers again. Anybody with any experience or similar problem managed to figure it out. We have tried a wet vac on various outlets and bled the system via the upstairs radiators. Is there something I should be doing to make this thermal store fill? I can't see any obvious signs of a blockage.

Sponsored Links
NB. The strange thing is, the installers won't contact us back even when we say it's urgent. The secretary says they'll call back in an hour and they don't. They haven't even invoiced us yet for the work and they haven't quite finished the lagging either so we're chasing them for that as well.

One possibility- how clean does the f & e tank look, how good is the lid.
It's possible when draining that rubbish floating in the tank has been dragged into the pipework and has formed a blockage (low odds on a new system but possible)
After that you get into valves and airlocks.
Do the feed and vent go direct to the woodburner or to the thermal store?
Any pics of the pipework available?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you need to use mains water to back flush the feed pipes into the header tank to drive something blocking them.

A very annoying one is discs of plastic cut from tanks which have carelessly been allowed to get into the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back