Gledhill Torrent Multifuel thermal store - airlock??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have an issue with our Gledhill Torrent thermal store (installed 2012) which is linked to a wood burning stove and a combi-boiler.

A radiator TRV was damaged and we called a plumber who, we think, has drained the whole system. He's completely re-filled the system (?) and we believe this has resulted in an airlock from the central heating flow to the pump. There is very hot water coming into the first few inches of pipe from the store, yet the rest of the pipe to the pump is cold. The pump is on and we can hear it working, but no heat is going to the radiators.

Can anyone help on how to get rid of this suspected airlock please?

One of the strange things about the piping from the central heating flow to the pump is that it has a U shaped design, dropping approx. 8 inches below the level of the pump. It seems that this design would increase the risk of airlocks???

Any help VERY much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
These plumbers who seem to come, do something unknown and then leave with the system not working always sound so strange to me. Do they come during the day, find the key under the mat and take their money from under the vase on the mantelpiece?

Perhaps its the difference between a heating engineer and a plumber?

I always tell the customer what I have done, leave the system working and write what I have done on an invoice!

Check both pump valves are open ( anticlockwise ) and bleed the pump big screw in the middle ( see FAQ if needed ).

Tony

That's great, thanks for your reply Tony.

We did as suggested and it is certainly got rid of the airlock in the area described. However, hot water now travels through the pump and out of the pump - but it doesn't seemt to be arriving at the radiators.

Could this be an airlock further along the system?

If so, we've bled every radiator in the house, but still no joy - any wise words?!!

Many thanks.
p.s. we live in a little Scottish town, not much choice in the way of plumbers/heating engineers unfortunately (and yes, we do leave him the key under the mat!!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back