Gloss paint for wooden front door and surronding area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had my house repainted 2 years ago now and the guy did the front door, frame around it and the windows next to it, these are all wooden frames. The paint is looking tatty again, so I can do this myself, I was wondering what paint to use, I did find Ronseal Weatherproof 10 Year Exterior Wood Paint

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/10-year-weatherproof-exterior-wood-paint

Is it any good? I've been on B&Q web site and a few other DIY and they don't seem to have it in white gloss.

I was thinking, just a light rubbing down to remove flaking faint and maybe a bit harder where it isn't flaking, just to give the new paint something to grip to, I don't need to go do to bear wood do I? Do I need primer?

Many Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware you can use regular gloss outside - I used it on my external runs of waste pipe. A bit of a sand is all I'd do - you don't generally need primer unless you're back to bare wood.

Thanks for that. When the decorator did it, I think he used Dulux Gloss, I was thinking of something that might last a bit longer, the Ronseal one says 10 years, I think that there is a 7 year version as well, but I find it hard to believe that any paint would last that long. The front of the house does get a fair amount of sun, so maybe that is why it's started to look a bit tatty.

Steve

These paints will last ten years if they stay in the tin. Seriously though, Johnstones weatherguard flexible undercoat and gloss is excellent.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I see you can get that at Amazon, might see if I can get it locally first

Steve

Check out a shop called The Range, they sell it at a very reasonable price, you might have a store near you, they are nationwide I think.

Alternatively Leyland exterior gloss or Little Greene oilbased gloss are very durable and look good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back