Gloss Paint Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a few jobs coming up that require a white gloss finish. Some internal skirting/architrave and an external wooden door frame. I've had it with "own brand" paints and I'm happy to spend the extra on a good "trade" quality paint.

Any recommendations for a solution for both jobs? I've read a lot on here about "egg shell" and I know Crown Solo is fairly highly rated....

Thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links
I've got a few jobs coming up that require a white gloss finish. Some internal skirting/architrave and an external wooden door frame. I've had it with "own brand" paints and I'm happy to spend the extra on a good "trade" quality paint.

Any recommendations for a solution for both jobs? I've read a lot on here about "egg shell" and I know Crown Solo is fairly highly rated....

Thanks in advance.....

Eggshell is not however a 'gloss' finish - it's much flatter. Satinwood is very slightly shinier, but if you want high gloss, be aware that since 2010 the formulations have changed and most oil-based white gloss paints go yellow quickly (within months). It's a real problem at the moment.

Johnstone's make a water-based gloss (which shoudn't yellow) but I haven't tried it yet.

Sponsored Links
I used jono wb gloss for the first time the other day, and got a great finish on skirtings and window cills. Two undercoats, then two topcoats, wet and dry between coats, and beloved purdy brush in hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back