Gloss painting a previously varnished outside door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd like to gloss paint my front door, but it has previously had a mahogany coloured stained varnish applied.
The varnish is now dull matt, and has no shine at all, so I'm hoping I can gloss paint it?

Could anyone advise please?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd use oil based products as they last longer outside but yes you can paint it. Sand it down well, wipe it clean then use a primer, undercoat and then a couple of coats of your gloss. Take a few days because have to wait for it to dry before coats but worth it. Did my front door that was varnished like yours a few years ago and still looks smart :)

I'd use oil based products as they last longer outside but yes you can paint it. Sand it down well, wipe it clean then use a primer, undercoat and then a couple of coats of your gloss. Take a few days because have to wait for it to dry before coats but worth it. Did my front door that was varnished like yours a few years ago and still looks smart :)

Thank you

Oil based undercoat wont always do the job. Zinsser 123 or Coverstain will adhere better prior to any further coats.

Sponsored Links
No primer. Use either Zinsser coverstain or Zinsser BIN 123 straight onto the prepped surface, then undercoat and top coat of what ever you want. You can use water based over these aswell as they act as an adhesion primer. Great for old oil based gloss surfaces that you want to paint with Water based gloss or satin. This stops it scratching off.

If you've not used water based gloss before, it's worth looking up tips and techniques. Also reviews on the paint as they differ in quality it seems. Water based can be a moo to work with, esp when not used to it, leaving brush marks and it can dry too quick while you're working on the project.
Also I'd read that water based gloss doesn't seem to get that real glossy finish that oil based gloss does, just so you know as you mentioned you wanting a gloss finish.
Best of luck with your door, don't mean to worry you - am sure will be grand! :)

No primer. Use either Zinsser coverstain or Zinsser BIN 123 straight onto the prepped surface, then undercoat and top coat of what ever you want. You can use water based over these aswell as they act as an adhesion primer. Great for old oil based gloss surfaces that you want to paint with Water based gloss or satin. This stops it scratching off.

Thank you, that helps so much

If you've not used water based gloss before, it's worth looking up tips and techniques. Also reviews on the paint as they differ in quality it seems. Water based can be a moo to work with, esp when not used to it, leaving brush marks and it can dry too quick while you're working on the project.
Also I'd read that water based gloss doesn't seem to get that real glossy finish that oil based gloss does, just so you know as you mentioned you wanting a gloss finish.
Best of luck with your door, don't mean to worry you - am sure will be grand! :)

Thanks. I think I'll stick to oil based, as I'm not a proficient painter as it is :D

Hi Tara100, Hope you are doing great? Well, great idea of painting the outside doors. You can consult a painting contractor to help you out with the removal of the previous dull paint. On the other hand Oil based undercoat is also a great option. I am saying this because I have also tried it with my windows.
painters-wear-white-clothing_be53e73e4b01a054.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back